Gas gauge doesn’t work

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by ou8jaime, Jan 16, 2018.

1. ou8jaime

ou8jaime In Second Gear

I have a 62 Ranchero with a gas gauge that doesn’t work. Is there a fuse I should check first? I don’t see a fuse box. Could it have a in-line fuse? What should I check and in what order?

2. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

There is a wire on top of fuel tank groand the wire if gauge goes full gauge and wiring are ok and problem is in fuel tank.
    If it stays emtey then you need to check wiring and or gauge itself

3. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Not very likely anything is wrong with the gauge, any problem is likely due to the gas sender unit in the tank, or possibly the voltage regulator on the back of the cluster.

Does the temp gauge work OK? If yes, then the voltage regulator is probably OK.

4. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

X's 2

5. MariVandaFord

MariVandaFord In First Gear

I was told the gas gauge in my ‘63 doesn’t work because of the sending unit. But even after the sending unit was replaced, still no gas gauge. I just try and fill up every 100 miles

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Test the circuit--pull the connector on the sender, ground it, then turn the key on. If the needle sweeps all the way, the gauge and circuit are good. Replug the connector on, and use the ground wire to give a fresh ground path to the sender body. Turn the key back on, and it should indicate the amount of gas in the tank. If not, the rheostat has an open in it. Pull the sender, check the wiper arm is engaging the rheostat winding, and verify the float is not filled with gas.