Gas Prices

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by saxegotha, Oct 11, 2008.

1. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Going up! - currently:

87 Octane $2.159
    89 Octane $2.379
    93 Octane $2.549

2. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

we've been at $2.00 plus or minus 5c forever... for the cheap stuff.

3. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

I normally buy Chevron gas being as I have a card for purchase...
    I`ve seen where this company is generally more expensive by a few cents per gallon over other brands also...
    But what with $.03 per gallon discount I bite the bullet and buy it...
    My local stores here also give a few pennies each purchase, for using the loyalty card...
    So what`s all this saying?

Enjoy Life,
    D

4. Cindy

Cindy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

...it's been around $2.60-2.90 around here, depending on where you go. I actually saw the first one over $3.00 at a Chevron the other day. I usually go to Arco because it's cheaper.

5. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Been dropping a bit of late, depending on the grade:

87 Octane $1.999
    89 Octane $2.249
    93 Octane $2.519

The higher octane shtuff seems to stay higher than it did a year ago, wider range in the prices between the grades hereabouts.

6. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

It used to be 10% difference between high and low, now it is around 20% or better. The guy that owns the local ARCO says the amount of premium he sells really isn't worth the cost of selling it. He wants to go with the 2 hose pumps and sell diesel using the premium underground tank but the regulators won't give him permission to do it.
    I told him to relocate to the USA where you don't need permission to sell legal products.

7. Sophie948

Sophie948 In Overdrive

Couldn't let this thread go without it having one of my dumb questions: Is there really any reason to buy premium, with the perhaps-arguable exception of fuel for a high performance vehicle?

8. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Even dumber question, have you had your heads rebuilt or are you using a lead additive for the unleaded gas that you are putting in your 65. ?

9. ribald1

I run mid grade in my van, 11.1 CR cam advanced 4 degrees. It runs on regular but I pay a little for extra insurance against detonation.
    My 521 runs premium 11.5CR solid roller cam advanced 2 degrees. It is impossible to hear pinging with that engine, you can't even hear the gear drive. The only method for checking is to examine the plugs. Have far too much invested in the engine to run other than premium.
    A fair number of modern performance cars require premium also.

10. Sophie948

Sophie948 In Overdrive

1965 Ranchero, I don't know the history of the vehicle before I got it about 5 years ago. I presume it was rebuilt at some point and given hardened valve seats; I presume that if it didn't I'd have bad compression by now at the very least.

11. 1965 Ranchero 66G

How about zinc additives for the the oil, most all of the newer oils do not have zinc in them.

12. toyroom

toyroom In Third Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

I'll bet your 521 engine loves gas!!

13. ribald1

Yeah, every pony wants its own bale of hay.

toyroom likes this.
  14. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

It would if he ever drove it

15. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

You guys have it easy.........works out around 6.50 USD a gallon over here at the moment......who's idea was it to import a 400 V8???....:)

16. toyroom

toyroom In Third Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

Sounds like you have a lot of livestock...

17. Sophie948

Sophie948 In Overdrive

Yes, learned about zinc additive to the oil on these forums. Hadn't known that was needed for flat-tappet engines. Now all I gotta do is find out what a flat-tappet engine is - but apparently a '65 289 is one. Thanks, 1965 Ranchero!

18. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Easy Sophie, a flat tappet is a valve lifter that has a flat bottom that rides directly on the cam lobe surfaces. Compare to a roller lifter setup that has a wheel on the bottom that rides on the cam lobes.
    Flat tappets create way more friction and heat while rubbing on the cam lobes than ones with a roller on the bottom. Our older engines got left in the dust when the oil engineers found they could cheat and leave out zinc and phosphates that protected the cam and lifters from grinding each other to shavings by using the roller lifters. Cheaper to make the new oil and easy to blame the zinc and phosphates for fouling catalectic converters. That's what the so-called experts say anyway. Yet the price of the compromised new oil went up. Can I at least get a kiss with that garbage ?
    Do your own research to be sure, but I settled on using Schaeffer's oils in all my engines from the lawn mowers to the cars and trucks and heavy diesels because they have flat tappet lifters that need the extra protection Schaeffer's zinc and phosphate provides. Regular off the shelf oil sucks badly when used in our older engines.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  19. 1965 Ranchero 66G

You did a better job explaining than I could, I believe Delo, Rotella & Valvoline VR1 racing oil also has zinc.

20. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Rotella is a no, I was there when the local NAPA owner cursed while reading the data sheet Shell put out saying Rotella no longer had the goodies in it. Read it myself then bought all his old stock of Rotella. They may have put it back but I doubt it.