Gas tank question

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Elephant in the Room, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Elephant in the Room

Elephant in the Room In First Gear

I removed the gas tank from the '57 today (file too large to show) but it was custom and very nice. Well designed, strutted and strapped, however it was unsealed so had tons of garbage in it. Do I take it to a radiator shop or a plating shop?

2. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Fourth Gear

What's it made of ?
    Most likely radiator

Elephant in the Room likes this.
  3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Radiator shop, for boiling and finish cleaning. But, plating shop is a good question, as I'd think they should be able to re-galvanize it.

4. Elephant in the Room

Thanks for the help. The tanks is painted and the fill neck had rust around it so I assumed it was metal. After removing the sending Unit and looking inside with a flashlight I found that it is stainless. There was a LARGE amount of black particulate inside. Looks to me like dissolved rubber Maybe someone broke of a syphon hose in there or something. I will easily be able to clean this myself.

5. Elephant in the Room

found to be stainless

6. handy_andy_cv64

Sometimes, the fill hose deteriorates and you get it down inside. My friend and I have a '93 service body F250, where the inner fill hose had literally crumbled apart inside the tank, leaving just the nylon cords! Wish I'd taken a pic! But, once the tank is emptied, we'll pull it and clean that remaining crud rubber out, maybe put another new strainer sock on it.

7. Elephant in the Room

The boots were fine, most of the fill tube is metal. There was an insane amount of that black crud . I did notice a black cap came out-like an additive cap. I cleaned it with degreaser and then muratic acid. Blew it out real good and dried in the sun for a day. Reinstalled this morning and put new gas. Waiting on new carb-should be here soon. Thanks for your advice and attention. Will follow up.

8. Elephant in the Room

I got the new carb This is a 272 motor so small 2 barrel 2100. Worked out fine but after all the gas tank work and only using gravity fuel noticed -well seemingly, that fuel pump is not working/ I removed it worked it by hand and it seemed to make all the right noises but it's old and has allot of trash through it I thought for maybe a second I didn't have enough gas in the freshly cleaned tank so put 10 gallons in it and still nothing. starts and idles great with a simple key turn but not getting tank fuel. If anyone thinks it's something other than pump let me know.

9. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Is there a fuel filter somewhere in the line somewhere? I had a 55 Mercury that had a fuel filter a previous owner had installed in the middle of the fuel line right behind the back of the door. Couldn't see it and it was plugged. Would just let enough fuel though it to idle.
    Greg

10. Elephant in the Room

I just looked with a creeper but the only filter I have is a clear on up by carb Most of the gas line is steel with some rubber here and there. I'm just going to order a pump and hope my suspicion is correct.

11. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Repeating advice given earlier ... check that bullet-shaped filter that screws into the base of the carb. It's not obvious looking at it that it's really a filter.

12. Elephant in the Room

Yes thanks that bullet guy is after my clear filter and the clear filter is brand new . Clear filter is dry as a bone on tank fuel but if I want to just get it running to check the new carb I will hook it up to temporary gravity fed gas and it works fine. I have replaced it 3 times on the gas tank cleaning It must be the pump.

13. Elephant in the Room

I just I should have clarified that the car runs great on gravity gas.. Zip on tank gas

14. Elephant in the Room

so after this I have an alternator problem to deal with. Who has advice on the alt/gen question?

15. handy_andy_cv64

First, is it an actual alternator? If so, check to make sure the voltage regulator is properly grounded. Check that there is battery voltage at the battery lug on the back of the alternator. Then, put a voltmeter across the battery terminals, and start the engine. If the voltage is above 13.5v, you're at the bottom of the spec. If you're below that voltage, unplug the regulator connector, and put a jumper between the 'A' and 'F' terminals on the connector. If the alternator windings and diode bridge inside are good, the voltage will jump up over 15v, and you need a replacement regulator. If the voltage doesn't jump over 14v, and/or the voltage fluctuates, the alternator is suspect. Pull it out, have it bench tested. And, if you have a mechanical voltage regulator, swap it out for a solid-state regulator. You'll be surprised just how much better your output voltage will be, how steady it will be, how quick it changes to match load changes.

16. Elephant in the Room

thanks Andy, Imma get this pump sorted out and then do the analysis on the alt. deal. My gravity fuel bs is a temp deal just to idle so I can see what is going on. Once the fuel pump works and things idle on their own I can do the test as suggested. Very grateful H.A. will report later when I get the pump.

tony o likes this.
  17. handy_andy_cv64

Of course. Gotta have it run, in order to do running checks. BTW, which engine do you have?

18. Elephant in the Room

According to the intake serial number is a base model mild 272. Have not checked the block as starter covers the number.

19. Elephant in the Room

I installed the new fuel pump today and still can't get it to prime from the tank. I blew compressed air backwards to see it there has a line problem but there was not. What is the priming method on those fuel pumps?

20. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

possibly take off the inlet hose off at the pump and open the gas cap and wrap a rag around a air nozzle inset into fill tube and blow a little air in the tank.
    See if there is any flow up to the pump.
    I know you blew the fuel line from front to back but in rare cases the fuel line could be collapsed internally higher pressure will over come it but low suction will not
    One other scenario is that the cam that drive the pump arm is worn out not creating enough negative pressure ( suction)