Gaylord bed cover

Discussion in 'Ranchero Parts For Sale' started by ribald1, Oct 12, 2018.

1. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I have 72+ gaylord bed cover that I can't use due to shortening my bed by 8-1/2" to increase cab space.
    Had a deal to trade for some door panels, but that fell through.
    If anyone is interested, PM me.
    Otherwise I will place on Ebay.

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

come on shorten the cover

HuevosRanchero and TestDummy like this.
  3. ribald1

I looked long and hard at that option as I like having a cover.
    The problem is that there is no reasonable way to marry two pieces of plywood end to end with a strength that approximates a continuous sheet.
    I even considered using it to make a mold, cutting the mold down and making one from scratch. A serious undertaking for a one off item. Anyway, with this tiny 2000 sqft shop I don't have room to swing a cat, much less dedicate a couple of hundred square feet to a fiberglass project.

4. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Third Gear

Hi ribald1 , are there any pictures of your Ranchero on here? I am intrigued to see what an extended cab Ranchero looks like.
    Denis.

5. ribald1

Yeah, there is a thread called extended cab ranchero

6. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Would taking it to a body shop be an option, let them cut/shorten it and have all the mess/debris involved. Just a thought. I built my own using 1" square tubing as a frame, but it fits inside the bed trim with an internal "gutter" system that takes 99% of any water to the tailgate/bed opening, works really well. Andy (Andrewok1) and Dennis (As is '66) can verify it's fit/function. I can also stand on the installed bed cover no problem and I'm almost 3 Benjamin's, man I need to walk more and eat less.

7. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

8. ribald1

A body shop would not be able to deal with the plywood issue, the only real solution to that is a frame built underneath, and at that point I would do as you did and just make one. I have all the same equipment as a body shop, I do a lot of it. The cab extension I did is not even noticed by people who see the car for the first time. I have to tell them it was done.

9. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Third Gear

Checked out the thread , thanks andrewok1 A lot of impressive work done there . I presume it is finished and on the road ribald1. To do something like that here would be possible but would take a lot of money and time getting it certified.
    Denis.

10. ribald1

Not finished, life got in the way.
    It is done except for paint and the headliner.

11. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Use the front 4 ft. as is and cut a straight line across the cover about 12 18 inches from the tailgate, remove the correct amount then mate the two pieces together with a stainless piano hinge or other type hidden hinge.

You would have a small trunk lid that you can open up to un latch cover or open the tailgate

12. ribald1

I don't have a tailgate. The back area is the 2 20 gallon fuel cells and the two batteries. Almost a foot of the front of the bed is taken up by the speaker compartment. The cover needs to be stout as if I carry anything, it will be on the cover.
    The real issue with your idea is sealing the fiberglass and plywood at the cut and hinge areas.
    Thanks for the idea, I hadn't considered that possibility.

13. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

In other words, do it right, or don't do it. Bravo.

14. rat-racing

rat-racing In Second Gear

Do you still have the Gaylord bed cover? Will it fit a 76 Ranchero?