Gear reduction starter, anyone?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by handy_andy_cv64, Mar 26, 2013.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

So my Chero's been sitting since last Spring due to a bad starter, so I decided to install a gear reduction starter from a '93 5.8L truck, along with the cabling from a '96 4.0L Exploder. No pics yet, as holding the old starter was a two-hander and I didn't have any more light than the Sun. So getting the old one out was an exercise in Chinese puzzle solving; I turned the steering full left, then spent 5 minutes trying to work it out between the draglink and the frame. Then I picked up the new starter (which nearly floated away, due to its light weight) and it just popped right in.
    The old bolts are too short to use with this starter, so make sure you snag the two bolts that come off the donor vehicle. I installed the two cables from the Exploder harness, and luckily the positive cable was barely long enough to reach the battery. Now, since I'm using a group 65 battery, the posts are reversed, and therefore the cable reaches. So I tested the starter and it cranks the engine. I'll get to the wiring changes later.

2. handy_andy_cv64

Sorry, I only get a small amount of time each day to post on the websites I go to, so I just threw that info together and up on the site in a hurry. Anyway, the install was easy after removing the old starter; now, I'll describe the cabling. The positive cable was long enough to reach the battery, since I'm using the group 65; I'll eventually replace the bottom mounting bolt with the newer bolt with stud/nut, so I can use the negative cable. The trigger wire pulls a bit more amperage for this solenoid than the old-style, so I'll use the old solenoid to deliver the power to the new solenoid. The positive cable has a second cable for the charging circuit, but the hole in the terminal is very small. I'll drill that out for the 5/16" stud on the solenoid, and install the trigger wire on the other side. That way, the old trigger wire doesn't need to be cut. Eventually, I'll ditch the 1G alternator and ammeter, so I have the 4 ga. charging wire to go with the 3G that I'll install. I routed the positive and trigger wires underneath the engine mount to keep them away from the exhaust, and the negative cable will be routed the same way when I install it.

3. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

thats kewl, lighter and better. Lot easier to handle than those old units

4. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I use one on mine.
    Being smaller gets it away from the headers, they used to cook a standard starter even with a heat blanket on it.

5. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

Will that starter fit on bouth a 400 (I'm sure it will), but what about
    429/460's.
    Is they all the same :confused:

6. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

the 5.8 is a small block. The 400/351M 429/460 starters have a different bolt pattern set up

7. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

Put one on my Big Block and it was the bomb...No more hot start BS and waiting to cool before I can drive..

8. handy_andy_cv64

I'm not sure if the 460 starter from the early 90s would fit older ones with C6s or not, but you can always try. And yeah, the old ones could do damage if they fell on you. An Olds starter tried doing that to me once.

9. paparoscoe

paparoscoe In Overdrive

x2. Changing starters got old.

10. *RD*

*RD* In Maximum Overdrive

I ran the mini mustang starter for a while then I went out and got a power master high torque starter as I'm running 12.5.1 compression and also a performance automatic pro fit bell housing with the 10in torque converter that requires the small starter. Not missing the full size boat Anchor of a starter at all.

11. handy_andy_cv64

I've been busy for the last month or so, so I haven't finished the install, and had a minor setback: the trigger wire popped off while I hooked it up to the solenoid. D'oh! So tomorrow or Monday I have to climb back under, hook the wire back up, and ziptie it in place. If I think of it, I'll see if I can snap a couple pics. Next on the list will be replacing the negative cable and looking into deactivating the ammeter before installing a 3G alternator.

12. handy_andy_cv64

And now the news:
    1) The Ranchero lives! I got the trigger wire back on after tightening down the female end, and she cranks just fine;
    2) However, I now have a possibly bad ignition electrical switch, as I can't crank from the key...there's no power in START position to the red/blue trigger wire;
    3) my gauges aren't working. Fawk. I guess that's what I get for letting it sit a year.

So I fired it up a few times, put fresh gas in it and drove it around North Everett. Definitely needs a carb rebuild if EFI is way in the future.

13. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

yeah..funny how the gremlins creep in over time...;)

14. handy_andy_cv64

I haven't worked on this since late last year, and it bloody well won't fire. But the starter sure cranks strong.

15. handy_andy_cv64

A couple months ago, I changed out the ignition electrical switch, which cured the no-start (old switch had corroded from the moisture inside the cab). So now, when the carb has fuel and I crank it cold, it fires on the second or third crank and it sounds like the engine spins a few RPM's faster. I took pics, so let me see if I can find them.

16. handy_andy_cv64

0609131505 (800x600).jpg 0609131506 (800x600).jpg

The top one shows the bolt-up, and the bottom one shows the main cable attachment. The way I hooked it up was to use an Explorer positive battery harness, which attaches to both solenoids, and the trigger wire goes from the upper solenoid output stud to the trigger on the lower solenoid. That way when the power closes the upper solenoid, it delivers power to the lower solenoid trigger and the starter cranks. Bear in mind, this is a stock 351W with a C4, and the starter bolted right up.

17. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I run my gear reductions starters off the fender solenoid also.
    Makes cranking the engine from under the hood easy, and one less wire to hook up to the starter and route away from the headers.

18. rancheromac

rancheromac In Third Gear

DB electrical.com has one for $50.00 that is perfect for 460