Glue for plastic panels?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by plumcolr, Jun 19, 2020.

1. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Running board on my Expedition cracked along the fold line when I turned into a stump. A glue to prevent further damage? Dunno what kind of plastic, black, very hard and rigid.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You can try liquid model cement, but even if it works, you'll have a crack that's visible. If your truck is used in a work way, I would think that isn't a problem, but if it's nice and straight, wouldn't a replacement look better?

3. plumcolr

I keep them mechanically straight, but like me, they become cosmetically challenged after 100K or so -

4. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

ABS CEMENT .,GLUE
    [​IMG]

5. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

+1 on the ABS cement. Just a whisp of acetone on the surfaces to be joined will help the bond.

6. plumcolr

Excellent. Since I already have the black ABS cement AND a can of acetone, I'll have at it. Was thinkin clear nail polish since it works so well on other stuff. Thanks, all.

7. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

"Huff, the Magic Concoction...."

8. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Jeff B likes this.
  9. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

The grill on my '70 came to me in at least 5 pieces of brittle ABS and bailing wire. Using the acetone, ABS cement and fine wire mesh got the grill back into 1 pretty acceptable piece. The missing bits were scavenged from ABS trim from (of all things) a Land Rover, cut to size and re-bonded to the grill using the acetone to prime or soften the parts, ABS cement from Homley Depot and the joints were reinforced with a very fine stainless wire mess pressed into the wet cement kind of like dry wall tape. All this can be sanded and painted with good results.
    I have since restored a '70 Barracuda grill that was in worse shape than the Ranchero with acceptable results.
    Takes time to dry, but it is pretty sturdy once done. Do one spot at a time and let it sit overnight and make your next move.

10. plumcolr

The black ABS cement works, and is hardly visible. Also carefully filled in cracks which were not all the way thru. Thanks to all of you.

Jeff B likes this.