Goodbye 78, hello 62 or 66

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by havensole, Mar 31, 2011.

1. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Hi Everyone. The 78 from my avatar picture will probably be leaving me this weekend for the salvage yard (too much to fix, too much to re-register it) and I will be heading out to look at a coupe of rancheros with my wife this on Sunday. I've asked in another thread about the 62/63 already, but I have some questions about the 66. Mainly just what I need to watch out for rust wise. Where are critical, 66 ranchero-esk problem areas. Here is the general listing of what this guy has done to it:

"Original V8 car, Rebuilt RV cammed 390ci. Big block (runs great), with a 4 speed manual overdrive trans, ford 8.8" 3.73:1 limited slip rear live axle, Front Disc brake conversion, power steering, No rust, no bondo, very straight, just needs paint and upholstery!!!"

2. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

no 66 came with a FE 390 from the factory.

if true 66, look for rust under the rear shock access panel in the bed.
    also rust in floors in the tire storage inside. check for rust in torque boxes at front under sides.
    check for rust in pass. side under heater box, under carpet. check for cowl leaks at the air intakes or "hats". open the air vents from inside. they are the black knobs at each side under dash.

if FE powered, should be C6 trans, maybe toploader and a 9" rearend.

should also have dual master cylinder for that setup.

3. davis

missed the whole story. looks like he changed quite a bit.

def. not orig.

4. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Well it looks like the 66 was sold yesterday. Oh well, thanks for the great info. a 67 is really my top choice, but those don't pop up in my price range too often without needing a ton of work.

5. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Nevermind. Just got off the phone with the 66 owner. It is still there and I got a little more info. Originally had a 289 but it was blown, and so they put in the 390 and c6 and posi rear end. He is the second owner and has all the original docs, which is pretty awesome to me. Thought he said previously it was drivable, but it looks like it needs something with the clutch, so it might be a no-go for me as I am really looking for something I don't need to tow home.

6. cliokid

cliokid In Second Gear

If it's a c-6 it has no clutch.

7. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Yeah, I thought that was weird. Our connection was pretty bad so I probably misheard him. Going to go see it tomorrow and will post back with more details.

8. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Well work has prevented me from looking at the 66 properly. My wife and I went by the guy's shop today to see if we could see the car through the fence, which we could. By looks the girl is in pretty decent condition. Body looks straight and no real rust issues I could see from 10ish feet away. Looks like all the trim is there. Windshield is badly cracked, but that's not a biggie.

Of course while looking at some other cars my friend sent me a link to a 67 ranchero with a 289. Car seems really nice and the guy "says" the only rust is in the rear cab storage area (anyone know of pre-fabbed floor panels for this year and specific area?). Car is way down in south san diego, so I'm not excited about the possibility of diving down there for no reason if the car is in rough shape.

It looks like the 67 might have more aftermarket type parts for it (body and whatnot) being based off of the fairlane, but as you guys have spent more time with these years which one is more difficult to find parts for? Thanks everyone.

9. davis

no replacement panels for the tire storage area inside the cab. you'll be fabbing those up by hand. plan on removing the shock access panel as well. that is the real downside to this car for water drainage. i'd bet the shock area is also rusted. a quick look under the car will reveal all.
    drain holes are about an 1" up from the cab walls in the bed area near the sides. those drain down thru the frame rail with a hose that about the size of a heater hose. if you take the tire storage wall panels off inside cab, you should see them going down into the frame.

hardest part i've had to locate is the gas cap for my 67. all else is pretty much swap meets, ebay, junkyards and thru fairlane forums. if you keep looking, they'll turn up.
    keep in mind, 66, 67,68, 69 falcon, torino, fairlane, comet parts will interchange along with wagon parts. 67 suspension is same with 67 mustang cept for the idler arm.

dearborn, auto krafters, dennis carpenter also have a lot of replacement parts. more so every year.
    probably best swap meet for you would be pomona.

10. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Thanks for all the info Davis. I did end up buying the 67 today. Looked at the 66, and even though I did really like a lot of the mods the owners did to it, it needed a lot more work to get it drivable.

Rust isn't too bad for the most part. All the trim parts are there and in decent condition. The bumpers have a few little dings here and there and the dirvers side headlight bezel is a little rough, but all in all it is a pretty nice, complete, car to start with.

My PT Cruiser is going to be spending some time at the mechanic here so that's one of the reasons I needed a fully working car. Drove it from San Diego to San Bernardino home and it handled the ride well. Pulls a bit during heavy braking, but that's fairly easy to fix. I'll have some photos up tomorrow maybe if it doesn't take too long at the DMV.

11. davis

sweet.
    save another 67.
    is your avatar pic of another car?

drop me a line if you need help.

12. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

The avatar pic now is of the 67 I bought yesterday. It use to be of my 78, which was taken away on Sunday. Had to take some pics late last night for the insurance policy (first time I've ever been asked to do that) and so I figured I'd at least post that one for now. It took forever at the DMV this morning so I didn't get a chance to take any daylight pictures before I left for work. I'm going to try and do that tomorrow morning when I replace the door locks.

Not going to get much time to really work on the car this week as I'm heading to Vegas for a week on work. We debated taking the 67, but my wife got a little worried when I tried to start it last night after it cooled down and it took awhile to get it going. Starts like a dream with a warm engine. I'm sure its just a carb adjustment, but I'm not too worried about it yet. I'll probably start a new thread when I get back, and after playing with the car more, listing the restoration stuff and tons of pics.

13. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Anyone know where I can get/find a service manual or this year of the ranchero? Seem to find them for every year other than 65-67.

14. davis

shop manual, same as 67 mustang.
    fairlane is considered an intermediate.

15. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Took a few pics this afternoon when I got home. They're from my iphone, so quality isn't the greatest. Took some time really looking around the engine compartment and noticed a few things that need fixing. First is the fan blade is just slightly too big and is nicking the lower radiator hose (my wife actually was the one to notice that). Next will be replacing the battery cables. Looks like one is too short and the other is probably original, or just very worn. There are some other electrical issues with some added things the previous owner did that are pretty poorly done.

Thinking of converting the fan to an electric system. Anyone have experience doing this and advice to follow/thing to avoid?

Also, steering feels kind of loose, almost like the power steering is over sensitive. Any way of fixing that anyone can think of?

And last thing. Thinking of putting some three-point seat belts in the car. Anyone have a preferred vendor and ideas on how to get the upper anchor installed.

Had to use a smaller air cleaner to accommodate the electronic ignition system. Bench seat is out of an 70's era Lincoln I am told. Will be reupholstered soon.

Attached Files:

16. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

looks like you have a great start!...that bench seat looks pretty good in there.

17. davis

wow,
    that fan is HUGE.
    probablly hits the hose everytime at startup when engine kicks.

there is a rubber plug up back towards top of the side pillars for harness. thats where factory setup was anchored. maybe a good spot to use as an anchor site.

summit carries electric water pumps. don't know much else about em though.

good project.

18. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Thinking of converting the fan to an electric system. Anyone have experience doing this and advice to follow/thing to avoid? >havensole

++++++++++++++

I've used one in my car for years now ('71 w/302) and I'm very satisfied with it. Got mine from Summit, advertised rating of 1600 fpm, and I use it without a shroud. It turns on/off with a controller of my own design. I live up near SF, but we do occasionally get 100degree weather in the summer, and the fan seems easily able to stay ahead of that. In our usual 65 - 75 weather it rarely even comes on.

The thing to remember about a fan is that it is mostly needed only at very slow speeds or when stopped in traffic. Above 25 - 30mph it just gets in the way of natural airflow. More important in my mind is a good radiator -- I have a 3-core that came in the car, works very well.

19. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Thanks for all the info guys. I saw the little rubber cap in the pillar this morning so that is a good place to put it. I just need to find a good set of seat belts now.

The seat is very comfortable and reminds me of the bench in my 78 ranchero. Have a friend that is going to re-upholster it to match the car colors at some point. Its not a huge priority so it is on the "wants" part of my list.

The fan is huge. I'm not sure where the previous owner pulled it out of, but he didn't measure the clearance right. Going to measure the fan later this morning and try to find one about 1/4-1/2 inch smaller.

I've read a few articles on switching to the electric fans, mainly talking about the lincoln mark 8 fan or one from a late 80's, early 90's taurus. Both said to convert the alternator to a 3G though, which might be a little ahead of me financially unless someone can tell me how to do the conversion for very little money. If I need to go play around at pick-a-part that's fine, was planning on doing that for the fans anyway.

Insurance became active this morning, and I fixed/replaced the door locks last night, so I brought the car to work with me. Really need to work on getting the steering less sensitive. The slightest little nudge on the steering wheel and I'm halfway into the next lane.

20. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

have the alignment checked if the toe is out it can cause that