Got another 72 Ranchero

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by Rods N Restos, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Overdrive

Got another 72 Ranchero
    This one is solid and one I can restore

End of 2020 I picked up 72 Ranchero 500.
    It was a roller and stripped out as Previous owner was restoring it then COVID hit and shut down where he was working on it.
    He ended up giving title to a guy to scrap it and the co-worker said he wanted it but couldn't find parts and listed it for sale.
    I picked it up and found receipts in cab with owners name and phone number so I called the number and the guy still has the drivetrain, front end parts and more that I have to get from him.
    It was originally from Arizona so it's solid foundation, just surface rust which probably occurred while being here in New Jersey.
    I have a good PA Title which I need to Transfer to New Jersey in my name then get the parts from the previous owner.
    This is much better foundation then the rust bucket 76 Ranchero I was going to put on 72 Ranchero frame from parts truck I have. Screenshot_20210714-182401_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210714-182539_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210714-182526_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210714-182456_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210714-182447_Gallery.jpg

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

How are the lower fenders and quarters? Is that black 2-tone standard? That's how we used to cover up rust and bondo back in high school. Bondo up the bottom and paint it a different color. I think we even had a name for that style. Wish I could remember it.

ForistellFord likes this.
  3. Rods N Restos

I don't have the front sheet metal yet but this is all original factory paint and bottom of doors,and quarters are solid and have no rust holes.
    It had Arizona 30 day paper Temp tag from 2008 still taped to the back window.
    DSO on data tag is 75 for Phoenix, AZ so it is a Solid Arizona truck.
    I'm going to blast it to bare metal and Epoxy prime it

Screenshot_20210716-124738_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210716-124556_Gallery.jpg

The 72 500's had black across the bottom from factory.
    Not many left with factory paint to know they had black on the bottom.
    Here is a Ford advertisement that shows the black on a 72 500
    20210410_204256.jpg

ForistellFord and TestDummy like this.
  4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Very nice!! Congrats!!!!

ForistellFord likes this.
  5. Rods N Restos

Thanks,its originally A/C equipped but I'm going to cut off firewall section from the 76 Parts truck and eliminate the Evaporator off the firewall as I hate those big bulky boxes.
    I have a non air heater box to put in it.
    if I want A/C I will go aftermarket or use the in dash A/C that was in the 76 as it fits behind the glove box between heater box and dash and get all new Sanden compressor,hoses,condensor and put in a 134A system.
    Our 72 Gran Torino Sport and Wagon are both Non Air too and look so much better under the hood without that big Evaporator box on firewall

6. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Good luck with your build,keep us in the loop as the work progresses

7. Rods N Restos

thanks its probably going to sit till next year as I'm hosting 50th Anniversary of 1972 Gran Torino,Ranchero and Mercury Montego @ Carlisle Ford Nationals June 3-5,2022 in Carlisle ,PA so I'm building our 72 Gran Torino Sport this winter to take to the event.
    You got to make the deals when they are available and I wanted a 72 Ranchero to go with our two 72 Gran Torinos as I have a wagon also that's slated to be customized into a 2 door panel wagon

8. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Just googled the event,only 5hrs away,looks like a good time,been wanting to schedule a road trip!

9. Rods N Restos

Biggest Ford,Lincoln, Mercury Car Show in the world