Great Ford vs. Ferrari movie

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by beerbelly, Nov 29, 2019.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If you haven't already seen this, "The 24 Hour War" is a great documentary about the battles between these two makes at Daytona, sebring & LeMans. Tons of archival film and interviews with all the major players and drivers. It's on Netflix now.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'll have to check it out.

3. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I heard it is an excellent flick. Also the "woke" crowd hates it because there is only one female in it who has a name, and absolutely no diversity. Funny how they think an accurate historical presentation should bend to their whims. Waiting to see it as I am a child of those bad old days.

beerbelly likes this.
  4. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

No such thing as an accurate historical presentation anymore. It's all about diversity, and if you're not showing diversity, that makes you a misogynist/racist/homophobe/etc.

5. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That, and 2+2 equals 5 today, if that's the mood you're in

6. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

I can't wait to take my Dad to this flick, Bill Ford was my Dads Boss, and when they show him crying in the movie trailer it is going to make my Dad laugh..

7. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

In Detroit we were taught this stuff in school. Isn't that crazy. How GM was founded. The Chrysler brothers. I guess the educators figured most of us would be working with cars in some capacity, so learning their history was important. I ain't bitchin'.

ForistellFord and andrewok1 like this.
  8. handy_andy_cv64

That would be the same as if Boeing history, or logging/mill history, was taught here in the Puget Sound area so that our jobs would be building airplanes or making wood products.

andrewok1 and TestDummy like this.
  9. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

I thought it was mandatory for everyone up there to work for Starbucks instead. ;)

10. handy_andy_cv64

You'd think so, but no, pretentiousness trumps education in that case.

colnago likes this.
  11. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Kinda' like Sean said, in my area we were informally taught all about how the Big Three were founded, including all the orphan builders, even why Kelvinator was important. I had teachers who if they admitted it, had serious crushes on various NASCAR drivers. Didn't hurt that friends my age worked for folks like the Pettys and Holman/ Moody, the Waltrips, The Elliot brothers, the Alabama Gang, etc. Didn't need "the Winston Cup Scene" to know who was cheating both on the track and at the local no tell motels. Dad had connections that covered all the various forms of racing even though we concentrated on quarter miles. I, like nearly all my friends were bit players in that era, knowing too much while not knowing why we did some rather impetious things. The fact that a movie portraying some of those shenanigans has come out just makes me happy that I got to be a part of that history. Gonna' have to see that movie just to see if it matches what I remember. There was no such thing as politicaly correct back then in my world. ford_galaxie_track.jpg

12. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

There's another Ford-related Netflix documentary on now- "Shelby American". This and "The 24 Hour War" were produced by Adam Corolla, comedian, racer and real car guy.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81218074

13. TestDummy

I watched Shelby American the past week at the gym while peddling the bike to nowhere. Great bio and I burned 800+ calories watching it (or as I like to say, 'three scotches worth').

ForistellFord likes this.
  14. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I like cars, and I use them whenever I need to go somewhere farther than 30 feet. So this should be a great movie.

beerbelly likes this.
  15. TestDummy

You should drive really fast to see it.

beerbelly and ForistellFord like this.
  16. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I will wait until I can see it at the house instead. Wear and tear, you know.

17. handy_andy_cv64

Hillbilly--it'd be cool to have someone produce a miniseries on Nascar racing, each episode from the point-of-view of each of the Big Three's sponsorship (or lack thereof), for all the shiny nuggets, like all the shenanigans Smokey Yunick pulled, such as the one Chevy that was supposed to have run out of gas at race's end because it didn't pull a last pit, so when the officials wanted to impound it for teardown inspection, it was driven away...turned out Yunick turned the frame tubing into a 'spare' gas tank!

Hillbilly likes this.
  18. handy_andy_cv64

And the "Aero Wars."

Hillbilly likes this.