Hard pull to the left during panic braking!

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by 66Ranchero, Aug 13, 2017.

1. 66Ranchero

66Ranchero In Second Gear

Hey guys! I've been dealing with this issue since I bought the car. The previous owner warned my dad and I about it too when we bought it. I took it to my mechanic after we bought it and they replaced the driver side brake line and cleaned and adjusted all the brake shoes. It helped for a while but the ranchero has now developed a rotational clunk on the passenger side front wheel and it's pulling to the left when braking worse than it had before! The clunk sounds like theres a lug nut in the hubcap but I looked and theres nothing there and all the lugs are on there tight. Could it be something in the brake drum or suspension related? Also Could this noise be connected to the hard left pull?
    Thanks guys!
    -Hayden

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Yes you need to Pull both front Drums off and check it out

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

It's possible; but the front end needs a full inspection, starting with someone watching that left wheel from the ground as you roll up and brake hard. If the lower strut rod bushings are worn, that will allow lower control arm movement.

pmrphil likes this.
  4. 66Ranchero

I think I figured out my issue. On my passenger side front wheel on the back side, it is wet and the tire is wet with brake fluid. Something is leaking in the drum so I'm taking it back to my mechanic in the morning.

5. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Have you checked the master cylinder for low fluid, sounds like a wheel cylinder.

6. 66Ranchero

They replaced the lines only. I had a feeling it's a bad wheel cylinder too. The fluid is a tad low.

7. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

If that's as far as they went, to just replace a brake line, sounds like it is time to replace the mechanic. find someone you can trust.

HVAC22 and cbolt like this.
  8. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Absolutely get someone else on the project.
    A guy who would swap out some parts, and make the brakes 'better' without fixing the problem needs some quality time behind the woodshed, not more time creating hazards on the road.

9. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Gadzooks!!! Agreement between adversaries! Refreshing.

10. ribald1

The 'adverse' element is one sided. The use of the plural is inaccurate.
    There was a brief period where it went two ways, now it is back to as it was before, and there it will remain.

11. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

There are a number of issues that can cause uneven braking...especially with drum brakes. The clunk has me concerned. You really need to find out what's causing that. It could be ball joint or control arm related (among other things), hence Andy's recommendation to get the front end checked out.

As for the brakes causing the pull, the possibilities can add up quickly. Since you're taking it to a shop, I won't take the time to list them out, but a common issue is the star adjuster and the adjuster lever. If they weren't properly lubed, the adjuster will eventually seize up and not adjust the shoes outward. The lever and the star wheel will also wear down so as not to adjust one of the two front wheels.

Like I said, there are a lot of possibilities, so a good mechanic is a good place to start.

12. 66Ranchero

Figured out the problem! I took the Ranchero to a different mechanic. As I thought, the wheel cylinder was pissing out brake fluid and covered the inside of the drum and shoes. They are gonna replace both front wheel cylinders, shoes and resurface the front passenger side drum. Thanks for all of the replies everyone!

13. ribald1

Glad you found the problem.
    One issue, though.
    Calling the first guy a 'mechanic' is an insult to the real ones.

HVAC22 likes this.
  14. 66Ranchero

Thank you. I totally agree! I called him and explained what the other guy found. He felt pretty stupid and was very apologetic. I'm definitely not going back there.

15. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Glad you found the problem but you should still investigate the clunk that came with it.

16. Old guys rule

Old guys rule In First Gear

if drum brakes in front,nead to be the same diameter, check for worn loose front end parts, or a front brake not operating . start with brakes,go to front end.

17. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

Wow! Old thread brought back from the dead! But now that we're talking brakes ...

Drums all around. Manual brakes. The brake switch on my '64 is a pressure switch mounted directly on the master cylinder (which was replaced a few months ago). Fast forward to this week. Brakes work, but need pumping. Found out that the fluid was extremely low, and it was wet around the brake switch. So, leaking around the threads, or within the switch? Any way to check? Should I just replace the switch and move on?

Joseph

18. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If it was new a few months ago, warranty it. Then ensure you have properly snugged it when you install it. Make sure you rinse the outside with brake cleaner so it's dry when you're done. It'll help spot a new leak.

19. 5.0 Chero

20. 5.0 Chero