headers for 72 Ranchero wanted

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by GRUMANIA, Jan 8, 2019.

1. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In First Gear

Hi,
    I have a 72 ranchero. It had once a turbo supercharger with homemade headers and I want a new, complete exhaust system.The car is in the shop at the moment and they ordered a set of headers finding out that these do not fit as the gearbox is too wide ( its an FMX gearbox )
    It seams as if the combination Cleveland/ FMX gearbox does not allow to install standard aftermarket headers.
    Has anyone an idea where I can find help ?
    Thanks in advance !
    Ilja

Attached Files:

2. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In First Gear

These are the Flowtech 12118 FLT which do not fit between gearbox ( FMX ) FT12118FLT.jpg and steering column

3. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In First Gear

not much help. i have headers on my 72 [cleveland/aode] they are fitted as bought no clearance issue. unfortunately i got them new/old stock and no box so i have no idea who made them. so i know you will find them and please let use know as mine are rusty

4. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Not sure if this will help or be helpful, but many years ago I put a set of Hedman headers on a 4x4 I had and the driver's side header didn't clear the driveshaft to the front end, the muffler shop owner took a "rosebud" tipped torch and heated the tubes until it could be "manipulated" enough for the necessary clearance. I never had an issue with those headers even after this modification.

5. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

I have Hedman 88320 headers on a Cleveland/FMX. They clear, but sit real close to the starter (heat issues are a concern). I seem to recall after doing some research at the time that the FMX is a similar size to a C4 so i went for it.

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/hedman-headers_topic16009.html

Have a read of this ^^ about 6 posts down

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  6. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In First Gear

Thanks for your help.Meanwhile I found a set of COYOTE headers on Ebay. ( picture ) Has anyone seen / Used these before ?
    They seem to be slim compared to the Flowtech.The seller is asking for 600$,........
    Thanks
    Ilja coyote.png

TestDummy likes this.
  7. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In First Gear

Bought the COYOTE headers - these fit
    Thanks for your help !
    Ilja

8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That's great to hear. So please, make sure you take and post photos, please?

9. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In First Gear

These are the Coyote headers trial fitted 1.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      140.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      158 KB
      Views:
  10. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In First Gear

As you can see, its a very tight fit but the mechanic said that these headers are very precisely made and fit from the first moment, without any adjustment, bending or so.
    Think these headers were a good investment.
    Ilja