Headers on a 302 in a 70-71. What fits-what hits?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Jeff B, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

In order to finish off my dual exhaust, I need to address the leak between the stock manifold and the head pipe. The donuts are just about gone and it sounds terrible. My choice is to try and get the rusted nuts on the cast iron flange off and install new donuts or install headers. My goal is not to go too far with the motor, but there is nothing wrong with making it run well. It has been suggested to use Mustang style 5.0 shorty headers like this.
    5.0header00.jpg

Seems like a good way to go. These are stainless, thick flanges and cost less than the longer styles I see on Summit that require a bracket for the power steering ram to fit. My question is
    anybody try these? How was the install? I have a 302 with a C4, AC and column shift. The column shift may get moved, but not for a while yet. I would appreciate any input or ideas.

2. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

I'm one of those suggesting shorties. I bought a cheap set (MAC brand). Mine clear the steering box by about 5/8" and spring towers by about the same. I had serious issues getting all the bolts in, and after the motor was in the car already I discovered that my older 13/16" plugs -- actually the socket to remove plugs) would not fit past the header flanges. Lathe to the rescue, I now have a special thinwall socket. A local muffler shop made the rest of the system from scratch. I could easily have ground a clearance notch into the flanges if I had discovered it while the motor was on the stand -- be advised.

The other issue is you'll need a floor shifter conversion kit -- the column shifter (for auto trans) uses a transfer shaft that (I'm pretty sure) is in the way. My car already had a shifter kit when I got it.

You could probably save some money by ordering a 87-93 Mustang off-road header pipe set, which come with or without a crossover pipe. That will get you plumbed back to about the trans tailshaft.

3. Mike

Mike In Overdrive

The problems I had getting the headers installed I could write a short novel. Basically, without spending the dollars going custom for my vehicle there was only Hooker Headers that carried one that would fit. And, even then I had to go back to Summit Racing, open boxes and measure between the flange to the collector in order to find a set that had a wider spread -- getting chewed out in the process by the clerk because he opened boxes. All because of the loose quality control at Hooker. I went with long tube headers for the higher performance vs cost and no turbo, but shorties would have been an easier install.

4. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

I installed patriot mid length(coated) on my 73 and they still look good after 5 years.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pte-h8433-1/overview/make/ford

They are designed for 65-73 stang,would think they would fit early torino.Call summit talk to tech guys.Good people.
    If you have manual trans column shift it may be problem.
    [​IMG]

5. Car Nut

Car Nut In First Gear

6. Jeff B

Bumping up an old thread. I need to spruce up the exhaust and it has been suggested (more than once) to go with headers. Some say shorties, some say mid length. My 500 has power steering, C4 automatic, factory AC and a column shifter. Wanted to see if there is any more input. I wanted to build a console and go with a floor shifter, but time is tight so that will either become a priority or wait until time permits. Thanks.

7. burninbush

Mustang shorties work fine in a 302/C4/ 1971 Ranchero. That will give you ~5/8" clearance from the shock towers and the steering links. But the vintage column shift (under-floor link) is directly in the way. Any muffler shop can fit them with pipes. Be =certain= to verify that a spark-plug wrench will still clear if used with the larger hex plugs on the early heads. (ask me how I discovered that)

8. Jeff B

Mustang shorties like Fox body or 68-70?

9. burninbush

?? '68 -- '71 are identical bodies so far as the engine areas are concerned. So, yes, parts that will fit a '71 will still work on a 1970 car.