Heater core replacement- Jeez!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by beerbelly, Mar 22, 2022.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

On my '74, and on Landyacht's '66 Merc, I just used a one gallon coolant bottle. Babe has the '90 Town Car fan shroud, which has the factory bottle mounted to it.

2. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I have to ask, does the tube reach all the way to the bottom of the tank? Because otherwise it won't work as a recovery tank, only as an overflow.

3. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Yes, the plastic tube inserts to the bottom of the tank.

Strangely enough, this '75 GT factory 460, came without a coolant overflow/recovery cap and tank and was very bad to boil over when stalled in traffic with the A/C running. Adding a recovery system and later a 3-core radiator solved all that.

pmrphil likes this.
  4. T16592

T16592 In Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

:D

5. handy_andy_cv64

I hear ya. I'm turning 57 in a couple months, and some days, I feel twenty years older. I want to feel my age.

6. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Yeaah, wait untill your trusted doctor tells you that you have the body of a 110 year old. Comes from burning the candle on both ends untill the middle is smoking too. Damn if it wasn't fun though !

Lincolnut and plumcolr like this.
  7. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Guess I'm not doing too bad for all the things I did to mine at 75. Keep on truckin (or Ranchero'in). Keeps ya young.

RancheroRandy likes this.
  8. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That's pretty good news for a 120 year-old!

plumcolr, pmrphil and Kiwirancher like this.
  9. T16592

Despite mentally thinking I am still 25, I realized that the mileage on my 71 year old body was showing through when 40 year old's get up and offer me their train seat.:)

10. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

Don't feel so bad. My neighbor volunteers at the assisted living home in the area helping with the "old" people there. In June she will be 103 and still living at home by herself.

11. plumcolr

God Bless !!

12. T16592

I can only hope I will be that healthy at 80 years old, let along 103!
    Reminds me of being on a flight from San Jose sitting next to a very nice lady going to Burbank to visit her son for her 100th BDay. Sharp as can be. She even tried to sell me her late husbands 1966 oldsmobile toronado.

13. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

I have found that heater cores,with proper maintenance,will last a while.Just dont install a new carpet or back flush core...Failure will soon follow.

beerbelly likes this.
  14. beerbelly

Kinda like washing your car just before the rain comes....

15. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Maximum Overdrive

I just turned 70 and pretend I'm 20 until reality strikes! Going fast with reckless abandonment sure ain't easy anymore....

16. beerbelly

Damn! Another heater core leak.
    I had switched the Cold Case 16 lb. cap to what I believe is a correct 13 lb. cap in March when I put the new core in. Just for fun, I put the core in a tub of water and blew in one tube with all my might while sealing the other with my thumb, and I didn't see any bubbles at all. I had installed brand new heater hoses in March, and found no cracks or pinholes in them. And I know I double-checked the hose clamps at the core, since this is a PIA job under the dash, and I didn't want any leaks there. I'm baffled...but I have a new aluminum core on the way, and I may go to a 9 lb. cap.

17. handy_andy_cv64

Unless the cores you're buying are absolute junk, there's no reason to put lower pressure caps on, that just covers any other problems that don't stem from the core itself. Rather, once installed and inspected, put a pressure tester on and test the system at the 13 pound pressure. Also, check to see if you have stray voltage in the system. Connect a DMM negative lead to the battery NEG, and dip the tip of the positive probe in the coolant. A normal voltage at or below .2V is fine, but between .2 and .5 is a brewing problem, .5 and above is active electrolysis. If your system is at that point, inspect your block and cylinder head grounds, clean or replace anything appearing bad. If the electrolysis persists, add grounds, from cab to subframe, from radiator to core support, and from block to subframe.

Hillbilly likes this.
  18. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Most of the heater cores available these days ARE absolute junk - ask any guy at a radiator shop. :mad:

19. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Watch out, you are going to hurt china's feeling's.
    Greg

pmrphil likes this.
  20. plumcolr

Dunno about China, but GMC has been putting out some real schlock stuff in related fields (A/C evaporators and condensers). Check out the lawsuits (and my wife's Yukon).

pmrphil likes this.