Heater Fan Assy.

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by LSChero, Feb 24, 2016.

1. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Of course the HVAC motor is pooched.Ordered new motor from rock auto,should be here fri.Squirel cage fan is
    fused to the shaft and unable to remove set screw.Been soaking it in PB,and tried heat to no avail.Cant seem to locate replacement fan that looks the same and dought I will be able to reuse this cage even if I get it off.
    Anyone got a ford part# I can cross?Ill check local stang shop for replacement.
    Thanks..72 factory AC box.
    SAM_3243.JPG

2. LSChero

Got wheel off!Lot of heat,PB and few choice words.Total fail on finding replacement on web.73 stang unit is different.Last thing to complete and
    on with installing interior.
    SAM_3244.JPG

3. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  4. andrewok1

5. LSChero

Replacement unit just showed up complete with incorrect wheel.Mounting flange and shaft length,dia. are correct.Ill swap old wheel on and all should be good.
    Noted new wheel vanes are angled opposite of OE wheel.Do I just switch wire path to change rotation?Thanks.
    SAM_3245.JPG

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  6. andrewok1

kool john .

7. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

@LSChero ... might not matter about the vanes. It'll pull air in around the motor and bat it out into the surrounding plenum. Maybe the new motor is intended to run in reverse direction? I'd try it before doing any unnecessary work.

8. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Make the Squirrel run the other direction...

TestDummy and andrewok1 like this.
  9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Rotation does matter. What specifically makes the two cages different? Just the vanes? If so, that doesn't matter, just as long as the motor rotates in the correct direction for that new cage to work. So just make sure that the proper wire from the connector goes to the orange positive wire, so it'll put out air.

10. handy_andy_cv64

Oh, wait. I see in the original pic there is no connector. So just make sure you do not swap wires.

andrewok1 likes this.
  11. LSChero

Its in and functions.I may or may not have installed that corner screw...The new cage was taller and designed to rotate clockwise,OE motor was counter.
    Swapped pig tail connectors to get proper rotation of wheel.Ran for a while,no fire,smoke or explosions!Iam calling it.
    Thanks for the help!
    SAM_3246.JPG SAM_3248.JPG

HuevosRanchero and andrewok1 like this.
  12. handy_andy_cv64

You're very welcome!

13. andrewok1

O NO!!!! YOU GOTS siemens on your blower /another good looking job John

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    handy_andy_cv64 likes this.
  14. handy_andy_cv64

Those sloppy Germans. It's funny to note that the most utilitarian people in Europe never came up with this car design. Otherwise, Mercedes and BMW would have them. VW's the closest.

15. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Uh, me thinks them boys across the pond might a had the same idea. mersedes-benz 240 d.png mersedes-benz 240 d.png mercedes_benz_300. td.jpg

16. Hillbilly

Andy, please don't think I'm messing with you. It seems car/ trucks have been around a long time in nearly every brand that's out there. My opinion is we getting screwed out of having domestic versions because of the bean counters saying the demand isn't big enough to justify building them here. Maybe Europe builders are better off fiscally, I don't know. Even Audi is doing a new Q7 Ranchero style vehicle. Click on the images after doing a Google search for Audi pickups.

17. Steppel87

Steppel87 In Second Gear

Hello I drive a Ford Ranchero GT 1973 and I get the upper housing from the heater blower not from. It is probably glued on. Where can I buy a new housing? Also the register (19C590) is missing. I need that, too. Please excuse my english, I'm from Germany.

18. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

What is that? I did a search for "Mercedes 300td", but all I got back were station wagons.

Joseph

On edit, it looks like these are home-made from a 300TD station wagon. That's weird. Who would ever think that you could turn a station wagon into a truck? ;)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  19. Hillbilly

Dig deeper Joseph, homebrew doesn't look like that. Personally, I want a 2006 S-600 Mercedes UTE. Hint= Look at the offerings sold over in the oil producing countrys. Americans and the average European folks aren't willing to dish out that kind of scratch for a UTE. Good luck, it's next to impossible to find a sales brocure.

20. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

That 300td has been modified using a last body style El Camino. You can tell by the back window and the shape of the tailgate. The big wonder is how much body filler is all over it covering the welds.