Heater in a 70 Ranchero

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by John Roman, Dec 4, 2019 at 10:04 AM.

1. John Roman

John Roman In Third Gear

The previous owner removed removed all the vacuum lines and vacuum canister. It was a original AC Chero so it had the hard to 2 inlet heat control in the engine compartment. I replaced the heater core and rigged a heat control. It seemed like the heater was on all the time. Recently the new heater core went bad. Finally to my question, has any removed the heater box completely and installed a universal heater box? I just want to get heat in it until in it for now.

2. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Different animal, but in my '64, the heater core is always getting coolant running through it. In that regard, the heater is always on. You get the hot air by opening air passages and turning on the fan. I'm just wondering if this is what you mean by your comment on the heater always being on.

3. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

You will need a heater control valve,
    are you planning on ever using your AC?
    the valve looks something like this on the cowl.
    [​IMG]

4. John Roman

John Roman In Third Gear

I looked for that heat control. My plan is eventually just replacing the vacuum controller heater/ac with a Vintage Air unit. I am thinking of just on putting small heater unit in for now since the previous owner destroyed all the vacuum system in the engine compartment.

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You should have one vacuum line to an isolation valve, then from there, vacuum to the controls. That feeds most of your climate controls, but your heat control lever should move a 'blend door' with a cable, plus a vacuum line to the heater control valve pictured above. If you can identify the vac control line for it, you can put a universal control valve inline with the heater hose to block flow when you don't want heat, as well as verifying the blend door moves.