HEI Distributors

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by GBH Jon, Dec 6, 2018.

1. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

Seems to be a plethora of reasonably priced HEI distributors available online, are these a worthwhile upgrade from stock on my 74 400M? The ignition module on it has barfed its insulation, and all the replacement ones I've tried refuse to idle ( apparently something to do with deleted blue wire). So I wondered whether I ought to fit a HEI, and do away with the module all together. Cheers..........

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

There are cheap Chinese units on eBay, which I would avoid (you get what you pay for). Other than that, I think it's totally worth it. Like most advancements, there is a good reason.

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

It just needs a full 12 volt source, with a 14 ga. wire to deliver it. The only drawback is the pickup coil; if it goes out, you have to pull and disassemble the dizzy, in order to replace it. The two wires from it to the module get bent back and forth, and eventually one breaks.

4. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

Cheers.......Just trying to find a decent quality one with reasonable postage.........the cheapo ones have cheaper postage, while the better ones have high postage.......go figure.

5. reman

reman In Third Gear

Don't buy one of the 35-45 dollar ones that are made by pro comp. I promise your money would be better spent by taking your wife out for a burger and fries. Their support is just as poor as the product.

rancheromac and pmrphil like this.
  6. kaytbugsdad

kaytbugsdad In Second Gear

Mine is a unit from Summit Racing (the owner gave me the receipts of all the work done to it), and works great, especially since it now has a constant 12v battery source!!!!!

7. handy_andy_cv64

The few I have seen are the Davis Unified Ignition (D.U.I.) units, and they're no slouches, from what I've seen.

8. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I can't speak for their HEI distributors, but I have the Duraspark distributor from Performance Distributors in my 352FE, and I've been quite pleased with it. I would have been tempted to go with their DUI, but the truck was already wired up for a Duraspark. My only disappointment was that I heard they tailored the mechanical advance curve for your individual vehicle, and when I phoned in my order, they only wanted to know if I was running a radical cam.

Joseph

9. handy_andy_cv64

Performance is also good; what vehicle was the 352 in, since you were wired for DS?

10. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

It was my '67 F250. When I bought it, it still had the original-style distributor with points and such. I swapped in a Pertronix kit, which I ran for several years. When I rebuilt the engine, I decided to upgrade to Duraspark (bought all the stuff from RockAuto, and soldered up the new wiring harness myself). Then I started playing around with different springs, trying to adjust my timing curve. I finally gave up, and decided that a company that works on distributors full-time probably knows a bit more about timing than I do. Plus, it had the bronze bushing, blah blah blah.

I was originally thinking about going HEI, so I bought one of those Chinese knock-offs through eBay. Then I read horror stories about the gear coming off the shaft, and got paranoid about it falling into the oil pan. So I decided to keep it looking like a Ford, and went with the Duraspark. Performance-wise, I don't think it was any kind of improvement over the Pertronix. I'm not sure which way to go on my Ranchero; it will probably depend on if I splurge on the Holley Sniper EFI or not.

Joseph

11. handy_andy_cv64

All a dizzy needs to do is match what the engine does. That's why, when I do my SEFI conversion on Babe, it'll be all factory Ford, let the computer decide advance.

12. Carl Steinbarger

Carl Steinbarger In Second Gear

I've used the cheapie ones off eBay on some of my old hot rods and they worked fine.. I carry an extra module but never needed it...