Hello from France

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Mick13, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Mick13

Mick13 In Second Gear

Hello to all of you.
    I'm a young boy (50) living in south France, I've been motor bike mechanics in the past.
    I've always have pick-up VW and Ford but European spec so diesel.
    Im dreaming since many years about a V8 pick-up truck
    I take wood and motor bikes sometimes in the bed of my pick-up, so it have to have a low bed. To take bikes, a long bed is real plus.
    The Ranchero match my personal requirements.
    MPG is a concern here as gas is expensive. That's not my real concern as the Ranchero wouldn't be my daily. I've a Volvo 245 for that
    I plan to buy one from the third generation 76 - 79
    SB or BB What are the plus and less for both of them ?
    If it as AC I'll be happy ! Is it reliable ?
    What are the particularly point to check ?
    Where are located the vin numbers ?
    How I can decode them ?
    All of those ranchero have 3 seats in front ? 3 seat belt ?

Sorry for my poor English, but this is not my native language

Thanks in advance. Best regards. Mick

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  2. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Hi Mick,
    Welcome to the site you will have a lot of good information coming out of here and sometimes nothing but bad humor.
    Pardon my French as I do not speak it. Your English is fine.
    VIN location is on the dash on the driver side and can be seen looking through the wind shield, If the driver door is original there is a tag on the edge of the door that also has the VIN but it is to be used as reference only. It has added information such as paint, trim, transmission, and differential codes which can be decoded.
    Google Ford VIN decoding and have the VIN handy
    Also for a price there is Marti Report which is a very extensive look up
    Seating can be 2 position if it has Buckets or 3 position if it is a bench seat. I am not sure on the center seat belt most likely lap belt for center and 3 point for outer occupants.
    Most are bench seating
    BB can consume more fuel than SB you can get a 302 or 351 2v or 4v carb

Floors are a good spot to look at for rust through along with door bottoms , bed and over the rear wheels and under the windshield around the cowl and bottom of where the rear glass sits.
    Maybe some body else can elaborate on what to inspect
    A/C can be tricky depending how long it has been inop. if it it working it can be as little as a refrigerant conversion or as bad as a compressor replacement and a flush. It is hard to say with out looking into it.

There may be factory tie downs points on the inside walls of the bed, it depends on the year.
    I hope this helps.
    Bob

3. Mick13

Mick13 In Second Gear

Thanks Bob for all those informations.
    3 seats is a real plus for me as I'm use to have 2 seaters ;-)
    Vin number location is is more clever than on my ex cars !
    My P100 Ford have a rotten bed, like you describe ! Other rust points are good to know.
    Here in france, we don't have many workshop that know to work on AC, so, if the ranchero have it I think that I'll learn to work on it.

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

We do have other members in France, so if you have a problem with English wording, they should be able to help you.
    Air conditioning is a bit tricky in Europe, but I'm sure one of the European members might have info on if the systems from the 1970s can be converted.
    The Windsor family of engines (302 CID/5.0 L and 351 CID/5.8 L) with a 2-barrel carburetor or electronic fuel injection will be your better choices for economy, emissions and (in the case of EFI) power.

5. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Welcome to the site!!!

6. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Welcome Mick!

7. Mick13

Mick13 In Second Gear

Thanks to all of you
    Yes 302 and 351 are not the worst. FI could be a good thing as it's a real plus for MPG I think.
    FI is not bad words for me. I'm more old school, but FI, ABS etc are not bad things !
    When I was motorbike mechanics I've work on BMW S1000 RR 210HP for 1000cc 16000rmp. You can't imagine a so easy engine to drive with carbs.
    FI on V8 wasn't so easy in Europe I presume, as there is not a lot US cars in junk yards.
    holley and other bolt on FI seems not to be reliable ?
    A friend have a Dodge Ram SB 150 1990 area with genuine FI. This seems a good choice, his Ram is real heavy, and FI save MPG.
    I was thinking BB was the only choice, but now I think SB is not a bad choice. I don't want to race the car ;-)

8. Mick13

Mick13 In Second Gear

As the Ranchero would not be a daily driver except when my other car doesn't start or have a mechanical problem, SB or BB is not a real problem.
    I prefer to find a price that match the general aspect of the car : body and mechanic

9. handy_andy_cv64

Mine is a '79 GT, and the original drivetrain was a 'BB' 351 with an iron-cased transmission. I swapped it with a 351 'SB' and aluminum-cased transmission. I've found that I have a rig that actually gets decent mileage (around 16 miles per gallon) on a two-barrel carb, and I think the amount of emissions is fairly manageable with a single catalytic converter.

10. Mick13

Mick13 In Second Gear

BB351 ? what do you mean ? 351 that have the same casting as 400 / 460 ? iron cased trans to alloy one, this mean different type of gear box ? On a Volvo that I've owned in the past, I was having an auto trans with a locker on the 3 speed, great for highway MPG

11. handy_andy_cv64

There are three versions of the 351 CID/5.8 L V8 from Ford: the Windsor, the small-block engine; the Cleveland, the first version of the big-block, then replaced by the "335" series big-block, which was either 351 or 400 cubic inches displacement. The 429/460 CID engines came from the "385" series big-block design.

12. Mick13

Mick13 In Second Gear

Great ! You've learned me some interesting things !!! I know now why and how parts can be matched mixed ;-)

13. FrenchFan

FrenchFan In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Salut Mick et bienvenu ici, tu trouveras tout ce que tu cherches ici...
    Hi Mick and welcome here, you'll find all what you need here.

handy_andy_cv64 likes this.
  14. Roy

Roy In First Gear

15. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Welcome mick,great site

16. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Fourth Gear

First of all 351 Cleveland is a 335 Series engine as well as the 351M & 400 and they are not Big Block.
    Ford didn't use that term,it was a GM term as Chevy had multiple V8 engine displacements but they all bolted to the same transmission so they used the term Small Block and Big Block to distinguish between the sizes.
    Many people adapted the term to Ford engines but Ford distinguished their engines by Engine Series,but if you were to use the GM term the 351 engines were in the Small block classification,all 3 types as they were all 351 cubic inch engines

17. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Fourth Gear

Just some information.
    Technically its 1977-79 and is 7th Generation Ranchero as each body style change was considered a new Generation
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranchero

Not sure how many are imported to France and if so even For Sale
    Are you planning on buying one from the USA and importing it to France?
    I had a 79 Mercury Cougar which was the Mercury Car version and cousin of the 77-79 Ford LTD II/Ranchero and I had a 302 with FMX automatic transmission with Air Conditioning and it was actually decently powered for such a big heavy car.
    They had electronic ignition but were not fuel injected motors and all 77-79 Ranchero engines sizes all used carburetor, so were as you said old school and very easy to work on

Screenshot_20200104-224952_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200104-225004_Chrome.jpg

18. Mick13

Mick13 In Second Gear

It's interesting sometimes to buy in USA, but I think it's so only when you see the car yourself and do all the import process.
    No I'll take it in France, it's easier to see what you buy.
    Cougar could be interesting for some parts swap ;-). But I'm not at this time. Now I've to part my Volvo 245 Turbo ! (Broken engine, too much body work etc)

19. handy_andy_cv64

You know what that 245 T would be good for? Repairing, and getting running, another 245 T.

20. Mick13

Mick13 In Second Gear

Yes, some parts goes on my L6 diesel 245 (daily car), engine parts goes to give a new life to a 245 turbo