Hello from France

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Mick13, Dec 22, 2019.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

2. Mick13

Mick13 In First Gear

I've made a road test with a 1978 / 400 The engine totally stock seems torkey, without a lot HP. What have been strange for me is breaks : I'm use to drive Ford and Volvos, here I doesn't feel a lot the break assist, maybe a thing normal ? 400CI seems interesting for small updater and keeping MPG ?

3. 65restomod

65restomod In Fourth Gear BRONZE MEMBER

Hi Mick,
    When you say the there is not a lot of brake assist what do you mean? Does the pedal require a lot of pressure?

Bob

4. Mick13

Mick13 In First Gear

You're right, Bob, in clarifying my explanation, you made me see that I've miss explain, assist is Ok, the feeling is like air in the lines, or lines that inflate ! Pedal is soft with a longer travel than modern cars. But brake efficiency is here. First thing is maybe to check for air. Normal dot 4 fluid ?

5. 65restomod

If you haven't done it yet pull all the wheels and rear drums and look at the pads and shoes.
    Make sure rear brakes are with in adjustment , all disc front and rear will act a little different than disc/ drum set up
    Then with a assistant applying pressure to the brakes look at the rubber flex lines for a weak point sort of like a bulge.
    Then if no leaks try a bleed/flush DOT 4 is fine it is compatible with what is in there. If the vehicle sat for a long time there is a possibility of a master cylinder internal leak.

Hope this helps.

Bob

6. Mick13

Mick13 In First Gear

So I've take a 1978 400 CI GT I presume. Power windows, seat etc
    Seems to be a 3 speed automatic gear box.
    Is there a kind of owner manual online ?
    A noob question : just at the left of the radio I've got a wiper switch or knob ? What is it for and how to use it ? Where is the on / off switch for the wipers, it seems to be second clic from left ?
    When it's shut off the wipers stop at left side of the windshield
    So maybe the point zero is not set normally ?
    Radio in Europe only take Spanish Chanels ;-). certainly not the right fm band ;-(
    Is there a four way flasher as factory ?
    At the lower side of the front wings I've got some white rectangular things. Is that some kind of lights ?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020 at 1:40 PM
  7. 65restomod

Mick, to answer some of your questions
    1) Is there a four way flasher as factory ?
    If it is a US spec vehicle it should have 4 way flashers. The switch should be on the right side of steering column behind the steering wheel

2) At the lower side of the front wings I've got some white rectangular things. Is that some kind of lights ?
    These are what as known as cornering lights , there are only active when using the turn signal. When activated the front and rear lights flash and the lower side fender light will stay on "providing extra light " on your turn.

3) just at the left of the radio I've got a wiper switch or knob ? What is it for and how to use it ? Where is the on / off switch for the wipers, it seems to be second clic from left ?
    As far as I can remember the wipers will operate as a 2 speed wiper when turning the switch to the right ( or pull it out ) 1 or 2 notches and when ( some one will correct me if I am wrong) turning the switch to the left will activate intermittent wipers.
    That's all I have.

Bob

8. Mick13

Mick13 In First Gear

Thanks Bob
    1 Ok : I'll check that tomorrow ;-) on our European cars those are big red switch easy to see I
    2 That's clever for safety maters
    3 Ok, it seems that intermittence can be slow or fast. On intermittence, wipers stop a the right place under the hood, but when I switch off the wipers, they stat vertical ... It seems not logic I've to check that also ...

9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

3) There is a problem with either the wiper motor or the interval control box. Question is, when you turn the wiper switch to off, do the wipers properly 'park' in the cowl?
    3a) Please don't 'pull' on the knob, just turn it.

10. Mick13

Mick13 In First Gear

3/ Yes the wiper does not go in the cowl when I switch off. But they go in the cowl when intermittent ...
    The precedent owner had just change the wipers, is there a answer here ?
    3a / Yeah ?, this knob is not push and pull ? It seems to have a lot free play

11. Mick13

Mick13 In First Gear

Non the wiper doesn't work ... where is the fuse panel ? Inside ? left side under dashboard ? I haven't seen the panel

Maybe I need more space ?

[​IMG]

12. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

78fusepanel.jpg

13. Mick13

Mick13 In First Gear

I fond the exhaust noisy ... but it's maybe normal, this is what I've found under

[​IMG]

is there some brands better like Dynomax, to be not too noisy ?

Engine seems to be a 400M.

[​IMG]

Carb seems to be new, or not old as it's a clean Holley
    I think I've to pull off the rusted air cleaner to see if it's the right carb
    I've got to tune it up
    Is there a tuto ? I know to tune up bike carbs so maybe it's not so hard for me ?
    I found the idling real high ...

[​IMG]

The air filter housing seems to be too rusted ...

[​IMG]

The fuse box is not on a bracket ...

[​IMG]

What is the black arm I see on the left of the fuse box ?

[​IMG]

Wheels seems to be the right size ... but ? I prefer the 15''
    I've never seen those wheels, but it seems to be cheap ones ?

[​IMG]

I've to fabricate some battery stay. No problem, I'm going to use Volvo parts ;-)
    I know the battery terminals are crap !

[​IMG]

An utter real problem is the hood lock
    There is no springs to made it up a little when you pull the knob
    And the locking doesn't work, maybe it has to be tuned ?
    The hood for the moment only lock on his security

All information are welcomed !

I've spend the afternoon to pull out rear end, engine and gearbox from my Volvo 245 as I need space for the Ranchero ;-)

I've to take some parts at ? Rockauto ? Filter etc

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020 at 12:26 PM
  14. 65restomod

Mick,
    Some thoughts!
    The lever by the fuse box is the "emergency" parking brake release. The parking brake release is vacuum operated using engine vacuum, a hose from the engine to the gear shift "neutral safety switch" on the lower part of the steering column and then when shifted out of park directs vacuum through a second hose to the parking brake release.
    That lever is used in case the parking brake does not release normally you would pull it and it will undo the brake.
    It may be possible that the hoses have degraded over time and may need to be changed.

My guess for the wipers is that the wiper motor park switch is bad , I don't know if it can be replaced separately.

By all means replace the cables.
    Rock Auto will work for most parts.

Bob