Hi I'm New Here And This Is My 79

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by Bart68, May 24, 2011.

1. Bart68

Bart68 In Second Gear

Hello Everybody, I just picked up a 79 on Sunday in a trade for my 95 Crown Victoria. It needs some help here and there with some rust issues and the Engine needs a good cleaning and tune up and a little TLC in the interior compartment but the floor/frame are solid and it is complete. My Daughter and I were looking for a project we could work and drive on the weekends and the Ranchero just fell into our laps. I had a 67 Ranchero years ago and I liked it so when we got the chance at this 79 we took it.

It has the 351 windsor in it with an automatic, bucket seats which I really want a bench seat, I have to do some research to see which one would best suit my needs. When I get some better pictures I'll post them.

[​IMG]

2. Ranchero Richard

Ranchero Richard SITE SUPPORTER- GOLD

Welcome to the site.
    The car looks great in the picture.
    A little rust can be cured.
    Great to hear the daughter is interested.

3. Bart68

Bart68 In Second Gear

This is what I plan on doing for now. We are doing this on a budget so I will be cleaning up the rust and preplacing the rust with metal but to save on a complete paintjob I was thinking of this for stripes.

This is it now
    [​IMG]

This is somewhat what we are thinking of but if anyone has any ideas they would like to share please chime in.
    [​IMG]

4. Torkair

Torkair In Maximum Overdrive

I'm supprised to hear that you DON'T want the bucket seats, factory buckets are practically made out of gold it seems. The stripes look really good, I think you should also do the raised section of the hood and tailgate while you're at it.

5. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I like the hockey stick stripe on the top of the quarter, but not the painted lower section. People paint that two-tone crap for one reason; to cover up badly done body work. And that's all I gots to say.

6. Bart68

Bart68 In Second Gear

Yes and that was actually my idea, I'm going to cut out the rust and put in steel but my bodywork is backyardish at best and I'm doing this low budget and when I go to do a full paintjob it will be done right but I will still do it two tone so it matches my 78 Bronco.

[​IMG]

7. scrnic1

scrnic1 In Fourth Gear

Your car, your choice! I like it personally. Enjoy your new toy.;)

8. chrly

chrly SITE SUPPORTER- GOLD

I like the stripes as presented..

9. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

Welcome aboard! For a bench seat (I am surprised you don't want the buckets) you can get some nice ones out of 77-79 t-birds,LTD II,Cougars and other rancheros. These are bolt in and if you use the ones from te 77-79 era all the seat trim will match. You can go into 72-76 Torino,ranchero,montego and 74-76 elite and cougar. these too are bolt in ready to go.

10. Bart68

Bart68 In Second Gear

My buckets are tired, there is no rips but there isn't much left for padding and the backs are not adjustable which is a major down side. I like the idea of a bench and will try and find one but I'll keep the buckets incase I don't like the bench and have them re-stuffed. Oh and thankyou for the info I'll have to keep an eye open at Pick n pull.

11. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

looks good! even the Ranger wheels go well with the package...I too like the stripes...factory-ish but unique

12. Bart68

Bart68 In Second Gear

Thankyou, but the Ranger rims are going away and I'm either going to put 16 inch lincoln rims or I have a set of Crown Victoria HPP rims and a set of 235-60-16 inch BFG tires for it. I'm going to try them both to see which ones I like more then next week I'm hoping to get them on.

13. HuevosRanchero

I like going with bigger wheels on these later cars myself....the huge wheel wells cry for it...and better handling with good tires ensues..i think those Ranger rims are 15s right? Made the jump from the factory 14 inch painted magnums to 17s on mine and even with the worn out suspension the handling improved tremendously! plus they just "look" right scale wise...

14. Bart68

Bart68 In Second Gear

Not even 15's, they are 14's and they look bad on the car when you are up close.

15. Bart68

Bart68 In Second Gear

I thought I'd use my paintbrush feature on my computer to see what the Crown Vic HPP rims would look like and I like it.

[​IMG]

16. HuevosRanchero

yep I'd say thats an improvement!

17. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

I like the stripes but agrees with Sean on the repair point, but as you say,"not going to repaint the whole car" so what you are going for is the right choise.The raised part on hood black to will look good.
    As on the wheels, I think the CV wheels look to small to but might be the paintbrush that made them look like that.:eek:
    I like big ones has 20" myself:rolleyes:
    Your car your choises:D
    Good luck

18. drlance

drlance In Fourth Gear

For the lower panel...try the 'strobe stripe' that was on the 77-79 Ranchero GTs....
    It really breaks up that lower panel so it doesn't look like a big block of black paint.

http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk151/drlance/

For pics of them.... try it on your picture....

19. Bart68

Bart68 In Second Gear

Hey which seats did you use?

20. Bart68

Bart68 In Second Gear

I went with Crown Vic HPP wheels and the 235-60-16 tires and I like the look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and while on the hoist I went over the underside looking for rust and I could only find a a bubble about an inch and a half around in the back part of the floor pan and the frame looks good, I was happy to see that.