High Engine Temps

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by colnago, Apr 14, 2019.

1. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Until you do, sometimes new technology and improvements work to keep these dinosaurs alive.

2. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

I read an article recently where some companies were converting these dinosaurs to be electric vehicles. Classic on the outside, new tech on the inside! Pretty cool (although I must admit that I prefer my dinosaur to be as pure-blooded as she can be). My area hits 120* in August, so if her dinosaur system can't keep up, then I may swap to electric fans (I did check out autoclassic.com, so that may be my direction). To me, it's more important to keep her on the road than it is to keep her pure.

Joseph

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  3. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Thanks, hopefully it helps.

4. colnago

Pooh! I just realized that I'm still running with a generator. If I move to electric fans, I probably need to convert this to an alternator. I was planning this anyway, but first things first!

Joseph

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If you do, make it a 3G unit (minimum 95 amp output), even though it won't be original. Fans draw a great deal of juice, so you need a good-sized battery and that alternator. I'd look at better airflow through the core support to the radiator, a fan shroud of the correct diameter and depth, and ensure the fan belt is large enough to not slip in the 120* heat, rather than the update, if you want it to be stock-appearing.

6. franmosso

franmosso In Fourth Gear

I had the same issue after I rebuilt my 351W. Would run hot and over heat. I discovered that the 4 blade fan was not moving enough air. I went to a five blade flex fan and the temp never exceeds 190, even during the summer.

Carl Steinbarger and pmrphil like this.
  7. Freestyle Don

Freestyle Don In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

A good solution. Install a `dimple tube` core. Not cheap, but they work........I`ve used them in 2 different vehicles. First one in a 32` motorhome. Chased an overheat problem all one summer {started with clean/flush on OEM} cooling fans, mister system, secondary trans cooler.........on and on.

Eventually replaced the factory 4 row radiator with a 3 row dimple tube. Currently have one in my`65 Chevelle. Temps here in central CA.are hot. Not as hot as yours, but running temps @ 180`{180 thermostat}.
    These cores are very common in diesel rigs. Google is your friend.

8. colnago

I checked the radiator hoses last night, after I got home. The temp needle was mid-gauge again, after my seven-mile commute. With the engine idling, both top and bottom hoses were firm. Neither seemed to flex when I goosed the throttle. I figured I'd flush the system out this weekend, and replace the hoses just 'cuz. It also looks relatively easy to replace the water pump (which means I don't have to pull the entire front end apart to get to it … just most of it!), but that will probably have to wait until next weekend, so I can run the flush through the system for a few miles.

Joseph

9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

No, you only want to run the flush that day, right before you rinse it out. Otherwise, you run the risk of the gunk settling out and hardening in the worst places. Run the coolant flush, flush the system, drain it as best you can, then swap the pump, and finish up.

10. colnago

Good to know. In that case, I can start and finish it all this weekend.

Joseph

11. colnago

Well, I thought I had figured it out. Seems the dick-head who installed the thermostat last time had put it in backwards. The poor thing couldn't open! Then I realized that dick-head was me! Oops! Serves me right! But since I already had everything, I flushed the system anyway. Took out the 'stat, dumped in the flush and distilled water, then drove around for about 20 miles.

Got home, drained a bunch of brown water out, but no chunks or heavy debris. Re-installed the 'stat (the right way this time), filled it all up, and decided to take her out again. By this time, outside temps were around 90*. The needle was about half-way, then it climbed a little more as I hit a hill. Got onto the highway, and took it up to 80MPH. The needle climbed to just below the first mark on the Hot side. Got onto another freeway, and slowed to 65. I expected the needle to drop some, but it didn't.

When I got home, there was no gurgling like before. No obvious leaks, either. It's acting like there's still a blockage, but I don't know where. I picked up a new water pump, so maybe I'll go ahead and install it. Maybe the impeller is bad in the current one. Any ideas?

Joseph

12. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Sometime when you get it up to temp shut it down and feel the radiator fins. Should feel hot at top and warm at bottom, if an area isn't the same temp as other area at that level will indicate clogged radiator. It's crude but an easy no cost check.

1965 Ranchero 66G and colnago like this.
  13. colnago

The saga continued today. I bought a new water pump, but found that it's for a 289/302, not a 260. The PO upsides the engine to a 289, but used the old timing cover and water pump from the 260. I was actually able to buy a new 260 water pump at NAPA. So I swapped that in, hooked everything back up, and went for a drive.

Similar results to yesterday. I brought it up to highway speeds, and the needle climbed up the scale. I didn't have a chance to check for hot/cold spots in the radiator. With tomorrow being Easter, it will probably wait until next week. But I'm also wondering if the water pump and/or radiator is just too small for a 289. I'll have to compare water pump flow rates and radiator capacities between the 260 and 289.

Joseph

14. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Just out of curiosity... do you have an actual no kidding Ford temperature sender in the engine? Do you really have real indications that it is overheating or is it just the factory temperature "gauge" that is steering you to the conclusions that you are experiencing "overheating"?

15. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Good point, but with the blocked heater core and all of the crap flowing through the system, I'm still leaning towards the radiator.

16. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Easy way to tell, mechanical gauge under the hood just for checking and verification.

17. 1965 Ranchero 66G

And again, just out curiosity, did you see anything wrong with the old water pump. ?

18. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

On my rig the PO had complained that the motor was getting hot occasionally but not terrible, he went so far as to install a Sunpro 3 gauge pod which is nice but spendy (not sure which PO did the install). The other thing last PO did was install one of those thermostat radiator caps with the gauge right in the cap. It tracks with the Sunpro's and now my Speed Hut gauges perfectly, I think I saw them for like ~$30 online somewhere, cheap verification.

Cheers,

Doc

19. colnago

I don't know for 100% what sending unit I have. You're right that I may have a false read. I hesitate to suggest I'm overheating, since it's not boiling over. If it weren't for the temp gauge, I'd just cruise with no worries.

There doesn't seem to be any blockage, although the PO wasn't shy about using gasket sealer. There was some extra goop where the timing cover was butted up to the block, but I was able to trim that out with an X-acto knife. Everything seems to flow fine.

I just read an article that said the early Mustang cooling systems were marginal at best. Sounds like I need to boost its performance. I guess the next step is a fan shroud, and go from there.

Joseph

20. colnago

Doc,

I'll have to look into those caps. Thanks!

Joseph