High test and lead substitute?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Raindog, Jul 12, 2019 at 8:13 PM.

1. Raindog

Raindog In First Gear

Getting ready to put the 65 with 200 c.u. 6 cyl. back on the road, I'm thinking high test gas with a lead substitute. Opinions, comments, warnings?... I think that's the combo I used years ago before I parked it. lead.JPG

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Your engine a high compression straight-6? I'd maybe add the lead (but probably wouldn't) and would run 87-89 in it.

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I don't remember the inlines having a high compression from the factory, but did you mod yours to bring up the CR?

4. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

A 65 didn't come with hardened valve seats so yes, continue using the lead substitute. If you just putted around the neighborhood you possibly could sneak by but in the off chance you had to run it up to highway speeds for any length of time I would rather err on the caution side and run the lead substitute.

5. Raindog

Raindog In First Gear

Thanks all. I don't know about high compression, it's just the stock 200 six. I'll carry on with the substitute...

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Good plan. High-test was for engines with higher compression ratios. You'd be wasting your money with 92 octane. But, keep your engine clean, run it up and down the freeway every once in a while, you should be able to use any grade down to 85 octane with little or no trouble.