Hillbilly got sidetracked

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Hillbilly, Sep 9, 2022.

1. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Found something that interested me a bit more than the cars. I am more interested in the transportation and display part of this collection while my wife learned the history of each piece on display and gives information on the displayed items while walking you thru the tour of this collection. Some of this stuff came from Sam's collection while part of it came from a fellow collector named Gerald Creeley hailing from Tupelo, Mississippi. My job is getting things from Tupelo to Tennessee then presenting them in a clean orderly fashion.
    Sharing a video that might give you an idea of what this museum is all about.
    ( http://www.tennesseecrossroads.org/episode3607/ ) Once you get to Tennessee Crossroads you may have to type into the search box ( episode 3607 )

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Is this the collection of military vehicles?

3. handy_andy_cv64

NM, I just watched that segment. The ultralight glider Jeep prototypes impressed me. I saw that one was marked "Crosley," so the Crosley civilian offerings after the war likely may have come from that.

4. Hillbilly

That is it Andy. Got more stuff outside and in an annex building. It is growing fast enough that we need another building already. I bet you are right about Crosley using that experience for their civilian vehicles.

5. handy_andy_cv64

So, the show stated that the museum is free to visit; has the question of charging a nominal fee been brought up, in order to be able to build a new annex?

6. Hillbilly

It has been debated. For now, all we let the visitors do is buy shirts and hats and toss whatever donations in a big jar if they wish to. We already have the funds for expansion thanks to a trust Bud set up before his death. The Werner family was well enriched thanks to coal mines in the area they owned. We have a Board of Directors taking bids on the new building as I type this. We also vote on expenditures like buying other museum's contents when they come up for sale. It is a controlled growth, sorta' like a business operates. One person doesn't call the shots, we all vote on every move. That said, Bud was a unique character. He kept everyone in this area supplied with Jeep parts that were not available otherwise. I counted him as a good friend and still miss him.

7. handy_andy_cv64

Ya know, between your dad, your friend, and I'm betting a host of other friends as well as yourself, a book could be written about all y'all.
    It's good to know there's a trusteeship for this museum; of course, I need to add it to my bucket list! I'm really interested in the lightweight Jeeps, for I knew about that program, but so very little, as I didn't know there were four designs.

8. Hillbilly

You will be impressed. We hunt the obscure and prototypes and take the trouble to research the history of everything in the museum. Remember the Red Ball Express ? We scrounged up two of the trucks that survived that mission. We have the chopper that retrieved the Apolo craft from the ocean on down to a British troop carrier we tear up the back yard with to give it exercise. Those tiny lightweight Jeeps really were a serious endeavor, amazing engineering.
    That book, parts would be mundane, other parts heavily on the riskay side like Bud and Gerald chasing skirts all over the country together or Bud's love of a cousin of mine who lived next door to him. Lot's of diverse chapters in the making, all relevant to the current status of how the museum came to be. Yeah, Dad knew those wild men too. Gerald didn't marry until he was 80, new wife didn't want to deal with his collection so we ended up with it all.

9. handy_andy_cv64

Stories as good as any astronaut's or fighter pilot's....