Historical vehicle plates

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by Minotaur, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Minotaur

Minotaur In Second Gear

Most states offer some kind of historical vehicle plate for cars 25 years or older which can save money on insurance and possibly registration fees if it's a permanent issue.
    However there's usually mileage restrictions or to be driven to shows and in parades exclusively, which means you could get ticketed for simply driving it to work.
    I will be able to register mine this week as the Gov has allowed SOS branch offices to finally be open again and am just curious if anyone has registered their Ranchero this way?

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

My 71 had Michigan 1971 plates on it in Michigan, and now has Virginia 1971 plates on it in Virginia. The rules are, car shows or events, or if you are driving it to have repairs or maintenance done. If I were ever pulled over and questioned, which is highly unlikely, I'd say I was driving it to work to check on a vibration, then heading the a car show. Prove me wrong.

I had 'truck plates' in both states. I wanted to use some mint condition 1971 'M' plates in Michigan, but the SoS wouldn't let me.

plate.jpg

Minotaur likes this.
  3. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Third Gear GOLD MEMBER

I have 3 vehicles with "classic " plates. Two are registered in Utah & one in Nevada(vehicles are garaged in the respective state) . Nevada allows 5,000 miles a year. Utah is parade/show/repair only. When the Ranchero is completed, I will probably switch it over to standard registration (Utah) so I can drive it more.

Minotaur likes this.
  4. Minotaur

Minotaur In Second Gear

I wonder if one were to find a vintage plate with the same year as their vehicle as TestDummy mentioned if you could apply for a vanity plate?
    Or maybe you wouldn't be able to have the historical designation in that instance...anyway I'll find out Wed hopefully.

5. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Mine is registered as a truck so I can drive it any time. It was a useless argument to DMV that it is a car. They said no it has a open back and because by definition it is a PU.
    I could save some cash by registering it a classic but very limited in drive time ( one day a week, less than 5K, to and from show etc.)
    Either way it needs annual safety inspection ( which I have not done yet )

6. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I have 4 vehicles with classic plates, (in CT) and it's the insurance company that dictates how many miles a year I can drive. With Grundy, there's no limit. They just want you to agree that you won't use it for daily transportation, and that you must have another car with regular plates for normal use.

7. TestDummy

You want to find an old plate, and then have it customized? Not sure I'm picking up what you're laying down.

8. Minotaur

Minotaur In Second Gear

I remember reading something on a motorcycle forum about a guy that found an old license plate no longer in use that had the year of his shovelhead on it and he brought it with him to the DMV (think it was NY) and they allowed him to register his bike with this old plate.
    But he had to pay as if it were a vanity plate.
    Not sure if that's a thing people can do or if it's kosher in all states.
    When you mentioned having a '71 Mi. plate it made me think of it. Michigan plates were black and white back then if I recall, it would be cool to have.

Edit to add; found this link regarding mi anyway;
    https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-96435_1595_52364-205712--,00.html

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

My friend Joe (Landyacht on here) has both a '73 Colony Park and the '73 Galaxie, and in Texas, you can re-register old 'year of manufacture' plates; he has two-near-consecutive sets, and according to Texas, they need to be freshly-painted according to the standards of the day (proper enamel paint colors with pulverized glass on the base coat). Essentially, each state has its own laws, and an internet search of your state's website might just give you the info you need.

10. TestDummy

Michigan plates were many different colors, depending on the year. It's easy to register your vehicle using an old plate. I've known people that paint the plate to match their car afterwards and not get pulled over for it. What year plate are you looking for?

11. Minotaur

Minotaur In Second Gear

I didn't realize that, of course never owned a vehicle that could be registered as historical :D.
    I'd be looking for a '63, saw one on eBay but they were asking an arm and a leg considering it's just a license plate. Think they were green and white that year.

12. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

My Uncle bought this car in 1971. So when I got it, it had the original Oregon Plates... was talking to a guy at DMV about vanity plates... 1 of 101, or 1 of 1, or 428 CJ, or RAM AIR... I had a few ideas. He was quite persuasive as to why I should keep the original plates. And that is what I have.

Attached Files:

13. handy_andy_cv64

"1 OF 1" would be perfect for car shows, bring quick attention to your rig's uniqueness, make one and give it its own stand next to the project book.

14. TestDummy

What's an arm and a leg to you? I bet you can hit a swap meet and find one, being in the car capital of the world and all. They are out there. This one sold for $26.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-19...etal-License-Plate-Gas-Oil-Sign-/303581658348

Minotaur and pmrphil like this.
  15. Minotaur

Minotaur In Second Gear

Yeah $26 is affordable, this is the one I saw; $70 is an arm and a leg lol
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-19...rentrq:99f377771720a6e67f5718caffe4644c|iid:1
    Tomorrow I will most likely register it with a historical designation plate, then as you mentioned, keep an eye out if I can attend any swap meets, and reregister it if I find a nice '63 plate.
    I'll just be happy to have it plated period, been about six weeks of driving it with just insurance and the seller's title as proof of ownership.

16. TestDummy

Make the guy an offer of $30. What'll you have to lose? I wouldn't pay more than that because it's not in the best of shape. Could be cleaned up though.

17. handy_andy_cv64

The only time I'd pay 'Rancherobuxx' on historical plates is if they included a title, and they were for a concours restoration. Those are only in OK shape, so I second the counteroffer, but go no higher than $50.

18. Minotaur

Minotaur In Second Gear

Ok, historical plate applied for, $30 bid submitted...happy to be legal.
    We'll see what happens.

19. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Similar to me, using J.C. Taylor thru my Farmers Insurance. $151 per year, agreed value, 300K comp/300K liability, but no mileage per year limits. I investigated historical plates, but didn't see the advantage.

20. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

The advantage here in CT is the taxable value (for our wonderful yearly property taxes) is limited to $500 if it's registered with a classic plate.