Holley carb identification and informations ?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Mick13, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Mick13

Mick13 In Second Gear

Hello
    My 1978 400ci have a Holley. Intake seems genuine ? So 4 pot on a genuine intake ? I was thinking the 400 have a 2 pot carb, so 2 pot intake ?
    The car hesitate between idling and driving. I've to go real slow on accelerator pedal or it dies.
    I've got a Cooper tube beside the carb, it seems to be a vacuum ? Does he have to be connected ?
    maybe 1/4 inch at the right of the serflex.

[​IMG]

I doesn't arrive to know what carb ref ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

I suspect that it is residual from the original equipment and abandoned in place with the upgrade to the current 4V aftermarket carburetor. Without seeing where it terminates I can't really make a well informed guess what it's original function was, while I suspect that it would have been a choke heat tube.

From your pictures I strongly doubt that the intake manifold is original, 4V carburetors of the type installed on your car will not bolt up to a factory 2V intake manifold.

3. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Copper tube agree with 72GTVA. Nothing to worry about.
    Idle to drive, check accelerator pump shot. Needs that shot to not go lean and run well. Also check base timing .
    Hope that helps.

4. 65restomod

65restomod In Fourth Gear BRONZE MEMBER

5. Mick13

Mick13 In Second Gear

thanks to all of you. Yes now it's evident for me that something is missing between carb and intake something to forbid heat to go from head to carb.
    I've to check carb number and trying to know what intake and brand
    "Old choke air tube" What is that ?

I think I've got many things to tune and to check. That's maybe the way to start a relation with an old car with his old school saoul ;-)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  6. 65restomod

65restomod In Fourth Gear BRONZE MEMBER

The tube is (was ) used to provide heat to the choke coil to warm it up to open it up all the way when the engine is warm.
    Now that there is a electric choke heater it is no longer needed
    I have a question for you: Why is there a large hose clamp and a what looks like a piece of rubber around the air horn on the carb?

7. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Your carb is a 770 Street Avenger. Look under the front bowl at the baseplate and make sure there are no vacuum tubes that are open. They're tough to see, but there's at least one. Then check the red spring (driver's side front) and ensure there is NO "free play" AT ALL. That is the accelerator pump arm. If you push down on it, fuel should spray out of the nozzle just inside the choke horn area. If not, time for a rebuild kit. The vacuum line on the passenger side of the metering block should go to the distributor advance. The big one in the rear (which appears to have a large bolt in it) is intended for PCV or brake booster.

8. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Mick, trust pmrphil; he has a speed shop and knows his stuff. Here's him showing off with the '64 Falcon he built:

pmrphil likes this.
  9. Mick13

Mick13 In Second Gear

Thanks very much so it's a 770 Street Avenger, if I understand well it's 770 CFM ? Isn't it a little wide for a 400 CID, that seems factory ?
    I will check the accelerator pump spring

10. pmrphil

Nope, not too big for your 400 - it's a vacuum operated secondary - only opens when engine load demands it. And, yes, 770 CFM is correct.

11. tony o

tony o In Third Gear

Intake looks like a vintage Edelbrock SP2 P400 3370. It’s a small port manifold that was supposed to improve fuel economy. Definitely not a performance manifold.

12. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

When built your car likely had a Thermostatic Choke Heat Supply as shown in the picture below taken of the system in the same family of engine as your engine:

Choke 1.jpg

The installation would be as illustrated in the picture below:
    Choke 2.jpg

It appears with the change in intake manifold and carburetor on your car, this was removed as it was replaced by the electrically heated choke on your present carburetor. However, the Thermostatic Choke Heat Supply Well needed to be blocked off and the installer used the old Thermostatic Choke Heat Supply fitting as a cap for the well in the intake manifold.

13. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Not knowing the history of the carb, I'd probably start by rebuilding it. In addition to what's already been said, I'd also check the power valves. This is one of the better holley carbs as it has primary and secondary metering blocks. If you go the rebuild route, I suggest you get the type that clearly states the gaskets are reusable. The varnished gaskets are hell to clean off and will be destroyed should you need to pull a float bowl for a power valve or jet change.

As for the insulator, you can get these at places like Summit, Jegs, or even at the chain stores. A rebuild kit may also include one.

The large port at the back of the carb baseplate should go to PCV. There should be a large port on one of the intake runners that goes to power brake boosterr. You want PVC to go to a central vacuum source so that all 8 cylinders are leaned out equally by the PCV.

14. Mick13

Mick13 In Second Gear

Great information ! Here it's early in the morning. I'll go to work. When I'll come back I'll put some pick and information.
    Effectively intake seems not to be ford, but ? The only thing I've seen is "pat.pend" maybe patent pending ?

[​IMG]

15. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If it's factory, it'll have the Ford oval script trade mark, and should have cast in it, its ignition firing order and rotation direction.

16. tony o

tony o In Third Gear

Looks like an Edelbrock 3370. Pic from eBay See the pat pend cast in. upload_2020-2-3_6-26-21.jpeg

pmrphil likes this.
  17. handy_andy_cv64

Wow. That's really for a truck that hauls cargo, not one that hauls fast down the road. I don't even think extrusion honing could help it flow.

18. pmrphil

But those long runners sure do make torque :cool:

19. tony o

tony o In Third Gear

Ports are really tiny. Not even half the size of the intake port In the head. upload_2020-2-3_16-30-33.jpeg

20. handy_andy_cv64

Damnation, that's restrictive!