Hood scoop

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Hyrb, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Hyrb

Hyrb Guest

I'm getting ready to start the body work on Charo and am growing to love those 72 scoops...

What other vehicles other than the chero can I cut and paste one from? Are there any after market sources? Has anyone transfered them to a '73 hood?

Thanks!

2. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

Hryb, sorry there is only one 72 hood scoop, very unique hood/scoop/grill design, thats why so many folks want them and folks who have 71's and 73's and such, they are so envious, they dogg the "fishmouth"... :D

3. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

Trikar and Bob have 73's with 72 scoop, maybe they can help with pics. This site sells a 72 sport fiberglass hood but for 72 only. Look under fairlane.

http://www.usbody.com/

They also have various different fiberglass scoops available.

[ November 19, 2006, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: pdw72 ]

4. You might also consider one fo the Fox body Mustang hood scoops. They had one that faced forward from '79 to about '83 and another that faced backwards from about '83 to about '85. I've seen them on all kinds of cars, even Chevys, and they don't look too bad.
    Jim [​IMG]

[ November 19, 2006, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: C.J. Cleveland ]

5. Bob Hardie

Bob Hardie In Fourth Gear

Did somebody ask for a '73 with a '72 scooped hood?
    [​IMG]

6. trikar

trikar In Maximum Overdrive

The '72 Gran Torino and Ranchero were the only ones from the factory with that scoop and not all of them had hood scoops. I lucked out and found a guy selling one that was already modified for a 73. I do have an extra 72 GT hood that is rusted around the edges of the hood but the scoop section is in very good condition, it would make for a good cut and paste, but it might be a bit much $$$$ to ship it across country.

7. trikar

8. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Weird, my 71 has almost the same hood scoop. Case in point:)-
    [​IMG]

[ November 19, 2006, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Sean ]

9. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

I would like to put a 71-73 MachI scoop on my 72 but the modification to the hood and header panel would be extensive. Looks like a 70-71 hood is flatter and for anyone looking for something a little different, a MachI scoop would look cool.

10. CJ Guy

Ya "almost" a 72, my case in point, keep trying Sean... :D :D :D

11. trikar

The Montego GT hood was another nice one.

12. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Ya "almost" a 72, my case in point, keep trying Sean... :D :D :D </font>[/QUOTE]so 72 copied the 70/1 hood scoop and 70/72 Camaro grille and that is very unique??????? :confused: :confused:

13. CJ Guy

Ok guys I give up...I don't know why I even try :rolleyes: :confused: :D

Anybody wanna buy a 72 GT hood?

14. ok..dont choke..i went with the hood louvers from a 69 chevy nova...'cause i couldnt find a scoop that "worked" for me... if u'd like a pic...let me know...oh..its on my '76

15. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

CJ....let them tear'm up....then ours will be worth that much more :D :D

16. CJ Guy

I know Sarah, one thing "they" don't understand is that the Special look of the 72 was a final statement of the Shelby Cobra.

It makes me curious as to why so many folks want to transplant the front end of the 72 on their +73's when so "few" say negitive things about the look. The stupid statement coined by a reporter way back in it's debut, I guess gave them a way out because they don't have one. Not to say that all years of the Chero are not equal, it's just the 72 seems to have a special attraction to the majority, certainly not to the outspoken "few".

17. sarah

Well, CJ.....you and I can take them by storm.... so smile and KNOW.... :D :D sometimes, the fight is wasted on rediculous topics..... store up your energy for better arguments... :D

18. Ty 70 429CJ

Ty 70 429CJ Guest

Hey Sean, that's a picture of the first Ranchero I bought in February. I bought it because I liked the way the front end looked, including the hood scoop. I drove that Ranchero from East of Austin Texas to Northridge California.

BTW CJ and Sarah, I like the look for the 72 with a hood scoop.

19. Ty 70 429CJ

Ty 70 429CJ Guest

It should read: I like the look of the front end of the 72 with a hood scoop.

20. sarah

Ty your safe with us... :D :D It took me 8 months to find that hood, and I agree....the 72 is so awesome with the GT hood. :D