How a little cat can leave such a big hole in your heart

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by handy_andy_cv64, Mar 20, 2022.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I found out this morning that a neighborhood cat, Shea, the coolest, chilliest cat I've ever met (and I've met so many) was found dead this morning, underneath Babe's rear axle. It looks like he had tried to escape another animal, as he had no obvious signs of impact trauma. We're all sitting around having a late brekky, talking about him. PSX_20220320_114133.jpg

2. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Andy, I can feel your loss. Last week our neighborhood "wander cat" disappeared for a couple days when it got cold and rainy. We all figured he found a nice warm dry spot to lay up. He showed up much worse for wear, bloody mouth, limping on 3 of 4 legs. He was way more stand offish than normal and obviously hurting. 2 days later my neighbor found him under a bush. I'm not much for cats in general but Harry was good for the rat/mouse population and he was pretty cool all things considered. I will actually miss his orange a$$.

Cheers,

Doc

handy_andy_cv64 likes this.
  3. 1978GT

1978GT In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

A friend of mine often reminds me of something I told him years ago: "I like cats, and I don't like people who don't like cats."

4. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

I'll add to it ... we have an indoor cat these days; she stays in because she picks a fight with any traveling cat, regardless of size or likely strength. She weighs about 8 pounds, so anything she fights with usually wins. She was a rescued wild cat when young, we figure she is still remembers when life was tough. Aside from that we also have coyotes in the neighborhood.

5. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, my cat Bucky has always been an indoor cat ('cept the one time he snuck out past me and I figure he was out 'sowing his oats'), and I'm so glad because we have both coyotes and owls here in town.

6. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

I have to sympathize with you. I live on a farm with big barns and outbuildings, people see those and dump unwanted cats here constantly. We take them in and get the cats all their shots then get them spayed and neutered. Each cat has a unique personality along with the wife naming them, and the cats will come to you individually when called. We have coyotes, hawks, and eagles here so they live inside now but the wife takes groups out for exercise on good weather days. She has gotten good at cat herding. cat herding.jpg

7. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Sorry about your kitty.
    17 year old Frosty the Siberian Husky was my LAST animal.
    That one hurt to the bone. NEVER AGAIN
    1, Mo (mutt)
    2, Moose (yellow lab)
    3, Scrappy (pit bull)
    4, Bailey (golden retriever )
    5, Frosty (husky)
    five dogs = 60 years worth of animals, that's enough for me.
    #3 and #5 I had cremated and they are going in the ground or where ever with me

8. handy_andy_cv64

It is sad that we outlive our fur children, but it's part of what makes us Human. Veterinarian and author James Herriot had always advocated that, when one passes, you grieve, then you find another, for there are so many that do not get to be shown our love.

pmrphil and Hillbilly like this.
  9. handy_andy_cv64

We have a tornado watch over our town, and the six of us are sheltered in the bathroom, five adults and Bucky. PSX_20220321_174652.jpg

10. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

That's true but for me #4 cost me $4,500 x2 for R+L Knee Surgery.
    I had to grieve SIX times not 5 :(

11. handy_andy_cv64

I understand.

12. T16592

T16592 In Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Handy, sorry for your loss. It would be a wish they could live forever.
    They are more valuable than any rolling assembly of sheet metal.
    I still miss a little rescue terrier:(. When she showed up , she was the meanest and wildest dog ever. But later she evolved in the most sweet companion anyone could hope for.