How early for Ford hydroboost?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by Clark, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

I wandered over to a car show yesterday and amongst all the usual Chebys were two 1956 Mercury Montclairs. Both had hydroboost brakes which the owners said were stock. So how early did Ford add hydroboost as an option?

2. russosborne

russosborne In Fourth Gear

3. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Treadlvac boosters were the top of the line in 1956. Vacume operated. Those hydros might have been stock on some Ford product but it sure was not any 1956 anything. Didn't hit the market as an option on big Chevy, GMC, and Ford trucks until 1972, Then Lincolns, and TBirds in 1973.

4. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Also should mention that the hydro boost for larger truck series can have a built in electric pump that runs any time the key is in run position unless it senses pressure from the steering pump. Fail safe in the event the engine stops running to give you brakes no matter what. Bulky unit but it might fit in big cars. I like the ones from 97 and newer Mustangs, they can be flipped over when mounted to give a bunch more room for bigger engines. Cruise the junk yards and check them out.

5. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

6. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Yeah, I added a small hydro-vac to my 1955 Merc - gave me POWER BRAKES. I'm betting those hydroboosts were upgrades in those '56 Mercury Montclairs.

ForistellFord likes this.