How much stuff can you pre-install on an engine before dropping it in?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Boiler92, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

Still planning and starting to gather parts for my swap and was wondering what I can get away with installing prior to drop in. The less time I have to spend hunched over the better but I don't what to be fighting parts during the drop in process.

Leave off or ok to install prior to drop-in:

Exhaust manifolds
    Starter
    Crank pulley
    Water pump pulley
    Alternator bracket
    Power steering pump bracket
    Distributor
    Carb

Also, should I install the upper motor mounts on the engine first or install them on the frame mounts first and is it beneficial to leave all those bolts a bit loose during install?

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  2. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Attached Files:

The Wrench likes this.
  3. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

Can I not leave the tranny in place when I pull the 250-6 out?

I swapped engines a couple times on my Camaro years ago and left the 350 turbo in place both times.

4. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

I have never pulled a 250 out of a 69,but shouldnt be problem with leveler.Get front end off ground high enough to get engine/tranny at steep angle to shoe horn out.Keep rigging close to valve cover to clear rad. support.Drain tranny,put slip yoke back in tailshaft and secure so not to make huge mess..

Lincolnut and The Wrench like this.
  5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You can leave the tranny in place, but if adjustments have to be made to the trans crossmember, it's better to have the trans out to swap to the new engine. That way, if you have to move it, you can yard the engine/trans back out, make the adjustment, then drop it back in.
    I've found removing the crank pulley and balancer, radiator, accessories and brackets give you more room up front as you pull both. But of course, drain the trans pan and converter before you pull them.

6. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Might not be important to mention this -- but do the job on level (hopefully concrete) driveway or yard. Standing next to that engine and trans when they are at the height they need to be at to clear as advised above is enough to scare you.

IMO, leaving the trans in place won't mean dealing with all the height and mess that pulling them together would bring on. If you are using a standard Harbor-Freight sized lifter, be sure that you can hook the weight far enough back to make it hang the way you want.

handy_andy_cv64 and pmrphil like this.