how to identify model

Discussion in 'Ranchero Vin Decoder/Production Numbers' started by CHARLES HAKES, Mar 10, 2021.

1. CHARLES HAKES

CHARLES HAKES In First Gear

I just picked up a 71 with the 351 Cleveland. I have been researching trying to find out what model ranchero that I have. After I found a squire emblem inside the car (laying in the floor board) it got me to thinking how can I find out what it actually is?

According to the vin decoder it is a 71 built in Atlanta facility, the third and fourth numbers of the vin show 47 which in 71 would mean it was the 500 (according to what i am reading). The problem I am having is that I can not seem to find the production numbers for the ranchero 500s that were built in 71. So did I decode it wrong?

THIRD & FOURTH DIGIT
    Series Code

1960 - 1966

27 - Ranchero
    29 - Sedan Delivery (1961-1965)

1967 - 1969

47 - 2dr bench (Ranchero)
    48 - 2dr (500)
    49 - 2dr buckets (500XL, GT)

1970 - 1979

47 - 500
    48 - GT
    49 - Squire

(everything in red was copy and pasted from the following resource)
    http://www.ranchero.us/forum/index.php?threads/ranchero-vin-decoder.5158/

So any help would be appreciated, and if this question has already been asked and answered I do apologize.

will post some pictures soon

2. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

A Squire was built with "wood" trim on the sides and I believe wood grain treatment on the lower dash. This can be removed but it is a bit of work.

3. CHARLES HAKES

CHARLES HAKES In First Gear

i will have to look inside a little closer. i knew they had the body sides done that way but wasnt sure if it had taken off. i didnt know if there were any other details to identify it

4. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Wood grain dash for the Squire.
    upload_2021-3-10_20-45-40.png

If the "wood" was removed from the sides, there are holes from the hardware that hold the trim to the sides of the truck. These would have to be filled and would likely leave a mark on the back of the panel and might be visible to the eye on the front of the panel. Squires also were available with and without the hideaway front grill as an option. The Squire was an upgrade model and may have more options than a 500 or base Ranchero.
    upload_2021-3-10_20-49-22.png

5. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

I had a '71 500 model. Expect a slim piece of trim on the sides (with a rubber insert), and a strip of plain chrome below the doors. Mine also had chrome on the wheel wells.

6. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

According to the book: Ford Ranchero 1957-1979 Photo History, by James C. Mays (2004)

"Ford manufactured more then 1,300 different kinds of trucks in the US in 1971. Base Ranchero production reached 6,041 units, the 500 model added another 13,678 units, the GT contributed 3,632 units and the luxurious Squire amounted to 2,595 units produced".

If you want to get the best information about the specific car you have... Marti Report!