Howdy from a new guy

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by DZG, Sep 30, 2020.

1. DZG

DZG In First Gear

Hey guys...stumbled across this site while hunting down a marker light. Hopefully yall let me stay as i dont have a ranchero...but a 77 LTD II.

Currently sitting in a garage where its been since 07 waiting on a resruction.

2. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Welcome, Post up some pics..

DZG likes this.
  3. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

welcome! We would never kick out any fellow ford owner :D. here is another site that is pretty cool for the ford midsize 72-79 http://forum.grantorinosport.org/

Now how about some pic's???

DZG likes this.
  4. DZG

DZG In First Gear

Lemme see what i can dig up. I havent had it out of that garage since 07....lol.

5. DZG

DZG In First Gear

Youre in luck...

4518870024_large-1.jpg 4518870026_large.jpg 4518870025_large.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Dan the ranchero man

That one is in nice shape. Those rusted so badly out this way. Very nice ride.

7. DZG

DZG In First Gear

Thank you. Im actually in michigan. Bought it in 02 or 03 off the original owner for 500 bucks, had maaco fix some superficial rust and body damage.

It jumped time and destroyed the heads...i tore it partially down and thats where its sat ever since. Got a 351W/FMX with the ridiculious 2.50 rear.

My plans are to pull/rebuild the 351, probably with a few goodies....and toss in the 3.31 geared 3rd member i got.

8. Dan the ranchero man

I am in northern IL so I guess we can both relate to nasty rust. We live in the salt belt. (1 inch of snow = 4 inches of salt) You ever consider a 460 with a C6? Just build it little better than stock and you can leave that 2.50 gear in there and have a great hyway cruiser. My 79 ranchero has the 460 w/C6 and the 2.50 gear and my wife and i do a lot of long distance driving with that car. Still get 17 MPG on the hyway.
    the 79 ranchero with a 73 Montego theme.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DZG likes this.
  9. Dan the ranchero man

This one took 4 years to complete. owned it for over 30 years now. this was done 15 years ago. Stay with man you have a nice solid car to start with.

10. Saff54

Saff54 In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Welcome to the site DZG,very nice LTD,keep us in the loop as ya progress,this is for dan,how’s that 79 in the snow?

DZG likes this.
  11. Dan the ranchero man

It's awesome! Just I don't drive it because they spread salt here. That was just a nice photo op.

12. DZG

DZG In First Gear

No worries on the giving up. Ive got a habit of buying and driving old fords....have had numerous already, tons of late 70s trucks, currently own a 77 F250, (was my DD till last year), a 97 F250 HD (camper toter) and an 87 Ranger i saved from the crusher that ive got more time and cuss words into (not to mention money) then i care to count lol. Its my current DD.

As far as a 460...i did think about it, i got an EFI 460 in my 97 and i also had an 89 F250 with a 79 460 out of a lincoln (IIRC). Love the power...but both had many issues and it kind of soured me on them.

I did consider building a 400 for it. As the FMX has a removable bell, and the 400 was an original option in these cars (yes, originality is important to me lol), i had a 78 F350 with a hot 400 in it and it was impressive.

So im still slightly in the air...but im leaning 351W cause i have one...lol. But a 400 isnt out of the question.

13. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Fourth Gear

I was going to ask why that has been sitting since 07 but now I know.
    My 72 Gran Torino wagon has been sitting since June 2013 cause the C4 lost forward gears.
    I did get another C4 trans in 2015 but after blasting off the blue paint someone had painted it with I didn't want to toss it back in the car with over 100K miles on the 351C even though it ran great the rear main was leaking and didn't want the oil to get all over the beautiful detailed C4 trans then alot has happened in my life since then so the car has been sitting but it's been garage kept since September 2016.
    My biggest hold back is I restore Classic cars for others so don't have much time to work on ours

14. Rods N Restos

You can also stroke a 351W 408-427 cubic inch.
    Get some good Aftermarket aluminum heads,aluminum intake and build that 351 Windsor to put out 400-600 hp and it will make that LTD II scream and small blocks can rev high.
    Yes the 429-460 put out alot of Torque and if built right they can have alot of horsepower but you already have the Windsor and it's a lighter engine then the 460 so that has advantages too if you do a decent build you really only need 350-400 horsepower to make a nice cruiser out of it that still has plenty of pep when you stomp on the go pedal.
    Anyway Good Luck and hope that you start building on it soon as 13 years is a long time for a car that nice to be sitting

15. DZG

DZG In First Gear

Yes it is a long time....but i do open it up periodcally and things. Just did today actually. Im in the process of renovating part of a polebarn into a shop...the LTD is project number one.

First thing ill do is get it running good with whatever power route i decide to go, then button up the little things like brake lines, etc stuff that should be changed from sitting. Its gonna be a slow project as i dont have tons of time...but ill keep you guys upddated. Im thankful to of found this place...not alot of resources out there for mid-late 70s stuff.

Heres a question though...i bought a sport cluster and was wondering how hard it is to swap from the standard cluster to the sports cluster?

16. Rods N Restos

They actually are not called Sport cluster.
    Ford listed them as Instrumentation Group and some call them Rallye Gauge cluster cause of the Tachometer and individual gauges.
    We have a 72 Gran Torino Sport with standard gauge cluster so that is why they aren't a Sport gauge as not all Sport models got the gauge cluster with Tach.

Anyway is the Gauge Cluster you have from a 77-79 as the 72-73 and 74-76 gauge Clusters with Tach have different wiring and there are differences in the gauges.
    There is a Thread with photos to show the differences between the 3 groups of gauge clusters.
    The 72-73 cluster won't work at all as they have 12 pin plug were as the 74-76 & 77-79 have 14 pin plug on back of the gauge cluster but only the 77-79 cluster is going to work in LTD II

17. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

My '79 GT, "Babe the Blue Ox," has a '79 351W/X4 out of a '79 Grand Marquis. It took a while to scrounge up the necessary parts to make the combo work, such as an LTD II wagon driveline, Thunderbird 351W distributor and exhaust manifolds, etc., but I'm happy with how it came out.

18. DZG

DZG In First Gear

It came out of an LTD II. 78 IIRC.

Glad it turned out good!

19. Rods N Restos

Ok then it will work but you will have to add some wiring and sending units on engine I think are different.
    There is a Gauge Thread on the forum that may tell about the wiring you have to change or add.
    Did your cluster come with the pigtail for the amp meter and other gauges?? as they have their own wires coming off the back of the gauges. Usually it's part of the dash wiring harness but the harness for standard gauge won't have these additional wires

20. Rods N Restos