I am thinking about buying for a restore

Discussion in 'Other Vehicle Classifieds' started by 65restomod, Sep 11, 2019.

1. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

I have a couple of those huge Walker jacks left over from when Dad had a Lincoln/Mercury , and Jeep dealership. Probably made on or about 1946. Indestructable ! You will love that monster. Mine even had built in lights controlled from a switch in the handle. Not selling mine, they are too valuable when you need a jack that can pick up huge cars effortlessly.

3. 65restomod

I am interested in what the original color was .
    I think it is from the '30s
    Do you have any idea? Being that it is oxidised it is hard to tell.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    TestDummy likes this.
  4. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

I think it's funny that the ad said, "They sell on eBay for $300 and up." I saw them LISTED for $300 and up. I didn't see any completed items where they actually SOLD at any price. That being said, it is pretty cool. My garage is so full of junk that it would only be one more thing for me to trip over.

Joseph

5. Hillbilly

Mine are red, like an International Harvester tractor. The handle mechanism, lift parts, and wheels are yellow.

6. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I rebuilt an old, 1940's, Blackhawk floor jack back in the early 90's (it was left in the garage of the house I bought). It weighs a ton, but has very low ground clearance. Pumping the handle even 1/2" while horizontal starts the lifting. It's awesome. And, did I mention, heavy as sheet. It also rolls over rough terrain like a boss.
    rearinstall 002.jpg

7. 65restomod

I looked on Ebay and there are a couple on there with a listing of over $400 and not restored they are in their natural rust.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vi...044557?hash=item5d828a0f8d:g:hdsAAOSw40pbznFK
    I saw on another forum where some one was selling 2 for & 200 so it is all over the place for price.
    I think I may take a look and offer $80 and see what happens.

colnago likes this.
  8. 65restomod

Do you know if that is original color scheme?
    On a jack forum I looked at there is speculation that in that time period that it could have been black ,purple, or red with a possibility of a green
    There may be a possibility some one may have a color brochure

I just found a ebay advertisement from a 1931 Bingham publication ( looks like a auto tool warehouse) with a price of $36.00
    just found another one advertised for 1927 with a retail of $117.00 and weighs 120 lbs.( this one probably was a hyd. or a heavier duty one)

9. Hillbilly

I really don't know if that is the original colors but I remember them being that paint scheme at least six decades ago. Yeah, I am well over 60. Nice jack there Sean, hope you still have it.

10. 65restomod

Me too!

11. 65restomod

Well I bought it, drove 45 min. and met the guy and after looking at it I offered $80 and he accepted it. The kicker was I didn't get the 80 dollar offer out of my mouth and he said yes which to me, indicated he probably would have taken less if I had offered it. Oh well!! Too late!!
    https://vermont.craigslist.org/pts/d/fairlee-vintage-walker-roll-car-model/6965601397.html
    I found a speck of black paint on the handle so that means the original color was black. More analysis is needed.

12. Hillbilly

Wondering if the different colors could have been used for different sales outlets ? Color told the company where you bought it or what part of the country it was sold in ?

13. 65restomod

Started yesterday to get the thing to roll, was able to undo the 2 front wheels and clean the grease in there that is probably 80 years old.
    wiped the needle bearing surface on the in side of the wheel wipe down and sand the axles an wipe down and re grease the roller bearings which are nothing more that hardened approx. 3/16th steel rod cut to length.
    The rear wheels which are pivoting casters are a different story, the casters appear to be have been sitting on the ground and are pretty much rust welded to the axle and I'm not sure that it will break free.
    So I will be on a search for casters don't know where to source them.
    As far as color I also found a blue color on the lifting arms for the jack saddle ( its about 3 shades lighter that Ford engine blue.)

14. 65restomod

Does anybody have a source for old Walker 740 Rol-A-Car jack parts mainly the casters on the rear part

15. Hillbilly

Old School place with good folks = Tools and Hydraulics, Chattanooga, TN. (423-622-8282 ) Might be worth a call.

16. 65restomod

Thank you, I will contact them

17. 65restomod

I know this is a very long shot but here goes ,
    I was wondering if anybody has old iron on their property that might include a old mechanical or hyd. jack.
    I have a mechanical Walker jack that is impossible to roll , I need the rear casters off it, mine are so badly corroded that I don't think I can rescue them
    From what I can tell a lot of those jacks share the casters from model to model

18. 65restomod

I just scored 2 casters for my jack through Ebay.
    I had a bright idea, I found all the jacks that were for sale or bid and asked the sellers if they would part out /separate the complete jack and I had a few responses.
    These guys know what they have and I paid dearly for them
    at least it will roll when I get them installed

colnago likes this.