I need a part please

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Ran Man, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Ran Man

Ran Man In Third Gear

I have a 72 and need a part please. There are two plugs that go on the place between the windshield and the fire wall. I am not sure what they are called to even look for them. Maybe a crappy description of the place and part but I am hoping you guys can help.

2. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

Are you referring to the screens for the air intake for the hvac that keep junk out?

3. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

You must be good at jigsaw puzzles.

4. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

The screens shown in the circle?

Cowl Picture.jpg

5. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

6. Ran Man

Ran Man In Third Gear

No I have those. There are rubber plugs next to those. At least I think they are plugs

7. Ran Man

Ran Man In Third Gear

8. 72GTVA

Those holes were open from the factory. You might be able to find an oval shaped plug that would fill it if that is what you wish to do, there is no specific part to close off that hole from Ford as these cars were built.

Here is another thread on this same topic posted by a member from Australia that had the same concerns: http://www.ranchero.us/forum/index....-screen-or-cowl-vent-panel.18978/#post-218689

9. Ran Man

Ran Man In Third Gear

Thank you for the information. My car has a plug in one and not in the other. Do you know what they are for?

10. 72GTVA

Mine are the same - I don't know for certain, I imagine they were attachment points for the lifting mechanism for the assembly line tooling used to position the firewall group. I suspect the plug for the oval hole on the right is there to prevent direct water intrusion into the cabin fresh air intake, and the one on the left was always left open.

11. Ran Man

Ran Man In Third Gear

Thank you very much for the information. A judge at a car show told me I needed to get the hole plugged to make it look better. Now I know what to tell him this year. Great site for info.

12. 72GTVA

I don't know if you could find another one like the right side and if it would fit the hole on the left but I suppose that you could put a plug in it. Perhaps someone has a spare out there...

13. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

If a judge at a car show is telling you to plug a hole that never was plugged the wrong person is judging your vehicle. Put a plug in there the next judge will knock off a point because you have a plug there. That's why I don't mess with car shows.

ForistellFord likes this.
  14. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Isn't that a fact about show judges. Local club here choses judges for different classes by how familiar they are with the vehicles they are to judge. If you get deep into the AACA judging rules like they are you can spot otherwise insignificant deviations instantly. Bone stock class judges are walking encyclopedias down to where factory runs in the paint are supposed to be or what is the correct screw or bolt in a location and what is the correct finish on those fastners. Modified classes are way more lenient to judge. If you know something is correct don't be afraid to educate your car's judges.