Identifying blast media

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by Boiler92, Dec 3, 2019 at 9:02 AM.

1. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Second Gear

Picked up an old used siphon sandblaster off Craigslist for relatively cheap. It came with 2 buckets of sand.

The seller is a garage sale/auction reseller and claimed no knowledge of the blaster or media.

I believe this is silica sand and if so won't use it except maybe outside in a strong wind and a respirator but if it's not sand I'll still use a respirator but try to reclaim it and re-use it.

I'm not a sandblasting expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Can any of you tell for sure if this is sand and not something safer?

Thanks. 20191203_085701.jpg

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

It could be sand, it could be pulverized glass, but whatever you use, body and eye protection is mandatory. If you have it, do you think you're obligated to use it?

3. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Looks like glass media to me.

4. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Second Gear

It's easily 100#'s worth. If it's glass that's a little chunk of change I will use.

I blasted a bit of it for maybe 3 seconds outside and it worked well. I also tried some cheap coarse slag from TSC and it plugged the gun up almost instantly. That's the only media I have on hand. Need to start blasting the underside of the 69 Ranchero soon but it sure ain't worth getting silicosis. I'll make another trip into town and buy some fine slag or get expensive media if what I have is sand and not glass.

Screenshot_20191203-170124_Gallery.jpg

5. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Where respiratory protection regardless of the media that you use. And use a full suite of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) - that stuff gets everywhere, (take my word for it, just push the "I believe" button on it).

Way back when, I used a product called "Star Blast", manufactured by DuPont and recommended for sheet metal of the gauges used in auto bodies of our era. And it could be swept up and reused several times.

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yup, any dust you breathe in, it'll fook up your lungs. Remember, glass is also silica.