In tank EFI Pump install

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by grebaba, Aug 10, 2018.

1. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

If there is any interest I am installing a Tanks Inc in tank EFI fuel pump in my 71.
    If interested let me know and I will post some pictures.
    Greg

2. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I would appreciate seeing what you're doing. I have an EFI install planned in the future.

3. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

A good DIY thread is always helpful for members that may be looking at doing similar improvements or upgrades to their rides. Please post when able.

4. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Holley also makes a good unit.

5. Basstrix

I'll be interested to see if the systems uses a baffle and how you attach it.

6. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Most of them use a wicking mat.

7. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

I have been thinking about EFI for the 74 ranchero for a long time now. I know the best way is using an in tank set up so seeing someone put one together with photos would be great!

8. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Here are 2 pictures of the kit.
    I went with the Tanks Inc. kit because I had some questions about the Holley unit but I could not get any answers on the Holley EFI forum site which I found as odd because on the Sniper forums I all ways get a quick answer.
    These kits come with a baffle and you just bolt it on. They have slots most of the way to the top to adjust the baffle to the right height.
    The kit works from 6 inch to 10 inch deep tanks.
    The bracket is made long and you trim it to fit your tank. Anyboby with a 72 or newer Ranchero will have plenty of room as their tank is a lot bigger then the 71.
    I decided to go with the Holly Hydramat because there is barely enough clearance on the bottom of the 71 tank [6 1/8 inch] where I decided to install it-right rear corner of the tank.
    You don't want the baffle to sit on the bottom of the tank because it will vibrate, you will need about 1/16 inch clearence.
    Will post some pictures of the tank with the hole drilled tonight.
    The picture shows the difference between the 71 and 72 up tank.
    Greg

Attached Files:

9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

So, if I read this right, you're installing a '72 tank in your '71?

10. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

No I am installing a 71 tank in my 71. I just showed the difference between the 71 and later fuel tanks because Dan the ranchero man was thinking about puting one in his later model Ranchero.
    Here are some more photos.
    Photo 1 shows my 2 71 tanks side by side and where I drilled my hole for the pump. I put it in the far right side in the rear because I wanted to keep all my fuel or as much as possible over the pump when I race.
    I used a 4 inch hole saw for the cut and used a hammer and dolly to flatten out the ribs on the tank. That took way longer then I though it would-about an hour and a half.
    Photo 2 shows how I measured how deep the tank is. It is 6 and 3/16 inches where I decided to mount the pump. I will then flip the pump over and measure from the bottom of the flange to find where to cut.
    Photo 3 shows I got the meaurement.
    Photo 4 shows how I measured from the bottom of the flange to get my cut for the bracket.
    That is it for now. I will have to take it to the radiator shop and have it cleaned Monday.
    Greg

Attached Files:

11. handy_andy_cv64

Ah, since it was new, I thought you might try a retrofit. So what rig was that '72 tank for, anyway?

12. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

I ordered the 72 and up tank because the store [Parts Train] said it would fit a 71. I am in the process of returning it now.
    Will ship it back this week.
    I measured but it is way to big to fit without extensive metal work and then I have to worry about draging the tank when I do a wheelstand. I all ready had a problem with my rear bumper when I had the last motor in it.
    I plan on this being a dailer driver but will still take it to the drags every once in a while.
    With the last motor they told me I had to put a full cage and make a bunch of other mod.'s to race so I just decided to make it a lot tamer and just drive it.
    Greg

13. handy_andy_cv64

14. Dan the ranchero man

Thanks for posting that photo of the 72 tank (almost identical to the 74) that will get me thinking about how this will work.

15. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

not to nitpick but the rust inside that tank will kill an EFI pump fast
    upload_2018-8-12_0-47-6.png

make up a slurry of course playground sand/pea gravel/muriatic acid seal up tank real well and tumble it in all directions to clean it out

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  16. Dan the ranchero man

Good point. If you already spent all the money for an EFI system and the in tank fuel system why not just buy a new tank?

17. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

I would gladly buy a new tank if I could find one. The tank you see is the best one of the 2 I have.
    I washed it off with my 3500 psi washer yesterday and hit the inside and the rust blew right off with good metal under it.
    That is why I wound up with the 72 up tank.
    I was trying to find a new tank and the web site said it would fit my 71.
    It goes to the radiator shop tomorrow to be acid dipped and I will seal it when they finish.
    I have called the 3 tank makers I could find and offered to send them my extra tank to use as a pattern to make new ones for us but no one was interested.
    If the radiator shop can't clean this one then I will weld up my own, don't really want to do this because it will add a couple weeks to my build time.
    Greg

18. Dan the ranchero man

19. Basstrix

Thanks for posting up the pics and info!

20. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Dan the ranchero man
    I contacted Sprectra and they were one of the companys not interested. The guy on the phone told me they don't make custom tanks.
    Thanks anyway, I can't believe nobody makes these tanks.
    Basstrix
    You are welcome, I did't know there would be any interest in the install but if people can see how it goes they might decide to go ahead and do it.
    I bought the whole Sniper kit but didn't want the frame mount fuel pump even though it would be easier to service.
    Greg

Basstrix likes this.