Indy 500

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Huevos, May 26, 2019.

1. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Great finish to the Indy 500, Penske has to be happy.. I was rooting for Colton Hereto from Ca.

andrewok1 likes this.
  2. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

The race was good but the last 3 miles 225 miles an hour like slot cars GO Penske (they got milk)

3. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

I had it on a delay and still have 50 laps to go, guess I shouldn't have looked. Oh well.

4. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Now to REALLY piss off the wife....... The Coke 600 is in an hour :D

Cheers,

Doc

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  5. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The last few laps were actually pretty good. But, how can those cars pass each other so easily, occasionally? Nitrous?

6. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Push to pass button on the steering wheel, boosts HP for a short time and I think that they are limited to how many times per race, nitrous I don't think so, those things are engineering crazy, way beyond my brain level. I think that I saw the pass you are talking about, it looked like the other guy was slowing down.

7. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Yep, miracles of computer controls. Instant tune right to the limit of what the internals can stand for a brief moment. Doubt the engine would make a full lap with it's tail twisted that hard.

8. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Hillbilly, is that the 'push to pass', or don't they allow that on ovals?

9. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

I don't think I've ever heard them talk about P2P in Indy cars, you hear about how many seconds are left in F1 racing all the time tho. It is amazing what a good run into a corner looks like tho, makes the car getting passed look like it's standing still at 220mph.

Cheers,

Doc

10. Hillbilly

Different sanctioning bodys allow differing amounts of insanity button use. You can bet the engineers have it figured down to the second on how long you can use that tune. Remember a number of years ago when they ran those cars at the Texas Speedway and had to conclude they were way too fast for the track? Those drivers got button happy and the G-Forces the cars generated started detatching their retnas nerves. The drivers would need pressure suits like fighter pilots have to survive what the cars are capable of doing. It's kinda' like using the aftermarket tunes on your diesel truck. Set it to stun and it won't kill your engine quickly. Set it to kill and it's a lot of fun but the engine won't last very long.

11. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Just didn't seem right how, all of a sudden, the 2nd place car got so much faster for a couple hundred yards.

12. Hillbilly

Sean, they all have that "Ace in the Hole", he just saw an opportunity where he could control the result. Lot's of crew chiefs and drivers are scared to use that tune because of the chance of grenading their engine.

13. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

All this talk of the 'Insanity button' reminds me of SCTV: