Inspecting the '65

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by 65restomod, Oct 10, 2019 at 4:15 AM.

1. 65restomod

65restomod In Fourth Gear BRONZE MEMBER

100_3881.JPG 100_3880.JPG 100_3883_LI.jpg I had the car on the lift yesterday and saw what I thought was packed dirt in the R rear frame box near the front part . I started to poke around and found out it was sunflower and whole and parts of peanuts.
    Took me about 1/2 hour to get it all out
    Must have been 3 lbs in there , 2 big dust pan full 100_3883_LI.jpg 100_3881.JPG 100_3881.JPG

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 4:31 AM
  2. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Overdrive

...been there, done that...! :eek:

3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

4. 65restomod

Chipmunks , most likely the are not from my house I think they are from last owner

5. Freestyle Don

Freestyle Don In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

In my area we have pack rats. Leave things unattended, and they become storage. Yesterday I was working with a hitch for a receiver. Picked it up.........FULL of acorns...:(
    Interesting, your pictures, dated 2008?

6. 65restomod

Date was incorrect I had to change batteries and never set the date that was from 10/09/19

7. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

My brother has a '67 Camaro. It spends most of its time collecting dust in his garage. A few years ago, he popped the hood open, only to find that field mice had destroyed his wiring harness. He spent a heckuva lot more than 30 minutes fixing that one! I told him that if he gave the Camaro to me, I would make sure it was driven enough to not have that problem! He didn't laugh.

Joseph

8. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Which reminds me, 72GTVA, how did the mustang wiring vs. Rocky Squirrel end up?

9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Hell, one time I had a 2-into-one factory exhaust from a Crown Vic, and with it lying on the floor of my storeroom, mice had sourced ramen noodles from somewhere, and hidden their ill-gotten goods inside. So imagine my surprise when I picked the exhaust up to stand it up, and all these broken chunks of Oriental noodle cascaded out of the single end....

colnago likes this.
  10. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Still clean enough to cook? o_O

11. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

12. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

It's ramen, so of course! The only food where you could feed all of Pittsburgh for $1.37 on food costs.

Joseph

pmrphil likes this.
  13. handy_andy_cv64

EWWWWWWW!!! Not even considered! Not even if I were starving! That would be like frenching the mouse family!

pmrphil likes this.
  14. 65restomod

I decided to check the oil yesterday and it was a little dirty but it smelled of fuel.
    Before I changed it I did a cold start and watched oil pressure on the gauge ( after I fixed the gauge , needle was stuck) and only would peak out at 20 psi cold at idle.
    Drained it, put in 5 quarts of 10/30 (Walmart's finest oil, I just grabbed it and ran ) and a Motorcraft oil filter, did a restart cold and now reads around 60 psi idle and as it warms up drops down to around 25 psi idle.
    After reading the container found out it is full synthetic and for high mileage. So it is staying in the pan.

15. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

What is the latest "scoop" on full synthetic with no ZDDP on older, but broken in, engines?

Last I had heard was to add a zinc additive if you switched up to synthetic oil to prevent the cam/lifters from wiping?

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  16. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Been preaching that in here, plus a lead additive for the pre unleaded cars that haven't had their heads done.

pmrphil likes this.
  17. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

Oil is always a personal choice. The best oil to use is whatever works for you. Personally, I use Valvoline VR-1, 5W-30, because it's high in zinc. It doesn't make it the best oil, but it's the best oil for me.

Joseph

18. handy_andy_cv64

You should find a trustworthy shop with a tailpipe sniffer. Either your carb is letting too much fuel into the cylinders, and the excess unburned/partly-burned fuel leaks down into the pan, or your ignition is not zapping correctly, a big problem on maintenance-intensive point-condenser ignition. Have you pulled any plugs to see what color they are? A good-running engine from back then should be light-to-medium tan. Brighter than light indicates lean, and darker to black indicates dwell and timing is off (remember two things: 1) As points wear, the dwell drops; 2) A change in dwell makes a change in timing, and it always retards. Sooty/oily black indicates rich or oil usage.

19. Freestyle Don

Freestyle Don In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

Lots of opinions on this subject. My last couple of oil changes included a can of zinc additive. Just added about $10 to the procedure. Piece of mind and less than a rebuild......

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  20. 65restomod

Have to say in all honesty as per the last owner it was driven very little in the last 2 years ( or more ) I'm talking about maybe less than 1k miles in that time.He said he does not drive it very much as why it was for sale.
    Also the engine in the '65 was a rebuilt unit as per paperwork I am going through may have less than 2k since rebuild.
    But thanks to whom all contributed comments about adding zinc. Something to remember.
    Has no points/condenser , As far as ignition, it has had the dist. upgraded to Pertronix previously to my possession of the vehicle.
    Rancho does not smell like it is running rich, but on my list of things to do is to pull several plugs and look at them. I have been busy rebuilding the lower door hinges as of late and doing around the home stuff to make CEO./CFO happy.