Interior trim paint

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by aquartlow, Aug 14, 2012.

1. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

It has probably been discussed before but I found a product that does an excellent job of restoring the finish/color of the silver trim that surrounds the gauge panel and the panel over the glove box that houses the A/C vents and the vents themselves. It's called a Silver Leafing pen from Krylon, I purchased it at JoAnns crafts and fabrics. It works extremely well and matches the factory appearance. Just thought you would like to know. Todd
    [​IMG]

2. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

Awesome! I have been trying to locate a product that could be used for that!

3. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

megadittos....need that for the wifes console.

4. d_day

d_day In First Gear

That looks pretty awesome. I'm skeptical, but will probably give it a try. I've seen too many products that claim to do that buy end up looking like silver colored paint.

5. aquartlow

That is basically what the pen is(silver colored paint), but unlike using a regular silver paint, the pen gives a more uniform "factory" type of finish when applied correctly. This product is the closest I have seen or used to replicate the finish on our interior trim parts. It DOES NOT replicate the chrome mylar tape that is on our door panels or the trim around the upper and lower trim parts of the seats. I tried a "bumper chrome" aerosol spray paint and it was either too shiny or a big effin mess if it needed to be touched up. Hopefully I didn't get anyones hopes up, but I believe you will be more than pleased with your results. Todd

6. Brian Loula

Brian Loula In Fourth Gear

Good find aquartlow, similar to the or better than a sharpie pen? For the standard door panels on my '74, I used chrome pinstripe, it turned out great.

7. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Cool, do you have a before and after Pic?

8. parts4me

I double that on pics, also is there a good protocall for using it? Or is it as simple as put the stuff on. I see you say "if applied correctly".

9. aquartlow

What I meant by "applied correctly " has to do with cleaning the part before the use of the pen AND having a decently steady hand while using the pen. The use of the pen is vey quick and very easy with no taping or masking of the part, I used it inside my Ranchero after I realized my lower dash trim line(the line that goes on either side of the steering column and sweeps up to meet the gauge cluster trim line on either end) wasn't painted during the dash's re-conditioning(re-painted) before it was installed. The pen's angled felt tip makes applying it's contents a breeze. Todd

10. aquartlow

I will try to get some before and after pics posted by tomorrow, if that will help. Todd

11. aquartlow

The pens angled felt tip is similar to a Sharpie, but the pens contents are more paint-like than ink, it covers extremely well with one single coat or stroke. Todd

12. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Thanks Todd,ill give it a try.My wife ran out of silver nail polish long ago!

13. aquartlow

Here are some pics of the pen in action, and results. I hope this will help in your decision in using this product.
    This pic shows typical wear and tear of the trim panel after 30+years of use.
    [​IMG]
    Shows cleaning of trim panel before using pen, I used a small brush to remove most of the dust/dirt/debris from between and around the trim lines.
    [​IMG]
    Here I am using a clean rag with mineral spirits to clean /prep the trim lines for restoration. I originally used alcohol but I didn't have any left so it's mineral spirits this time. You can also use brake cleaner/lacquer thinner but their use is MUCH more aggressive. I wanted to use a thinner to allow the paint pen's finish to bond to the original paint. I did not sand the part, just cleaned it with mineral spirits and using another rag wiped it clean/dry.
    [​IMG]
    This pic shows the difference between the "unpainted" upper trim line and the lower trim line after a single pass with the leafing pen.
    [​IMG]
    This pic shows both trim lines finished, I will say again this leafing pen matches the factory finish better than any other product I have used, period!
    [​IMG]
    I hope this helps. Todd
    If you go to my Supermotors address(below) it shows a few more photos of the process, but these above give you the jist of the process.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012
  14. parts4me

OH WOW. I will be getting one of those soon!

15. kirksss32

kirksss32 In Overdrive

looks good,, now your gonea have to paint the main pice, by redoing the sliver it makes the blue look dull...

16. kirksss32

kirksss32 In Overdrive

parts im supprised you dont have one in your goth kit.:p

17. aquartlow

The gauge surround panel is actually black( though, it does look blue in the pics)and it has a padded panel that attaches by way of the slots in the gauge surround to cover that black portion. BTW, the padded section has to be thoroughly cleaned as well as this pic shows. This is an extra surround I have on hand, one of several I have saved from the crusher over the years. This shows what it looks like when the two are joined, before cleaning /restoration, of course.
    [​IMG]

18. parts4me

I second this product, I picked up one of the pens last night and used it on an extra bezel I had off of a 72. Looks like brand new now, and today will be doing the one that is in the truck.

19. Denny

Denny In Maximum Overdrive

That pen looks like a great idea. I tried using model car paint and a brush on my Mustang dash bezel. All it did was make a mess. At least I as able to wipe it off before it dried.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2012
  20. kirksss32

kirksss32 In Overdrive

yep an they come in differnt colors to,,,another nice thing to do is use the wifes:D nite glow fingernail polish on the gauge needles also