Is the VIN stamped on body of a 62 Ranchero?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Vin Decoder/Production Numbers' started by hesperian8, Sep 27, 2009.

1. hesperian8

hesperian8 In First Gear

My 62 Ranchero driver's door was replaced with a door from a 61 Falcon at some point in it's past (according to the VIN on the replacement door). Whoever replaced it did not save the VIN plate that was on the original door. Is the VIN for the vehicle stamped somewhere else on the vehicle?

2. hesperian8

hesperian8 In First Gear

VIN location on 62 Ranchero body

I found the VIN stamped on the welded on painted bar in the top of the engine compartment that goes from the firewall to the left front shock tower.

3. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Most cars of that era have the vin located in at least two places and usually 4 - you might find them inside the cab at the base of the windshield under the top dash cover, and under the front fenders on one or both sides on the sheet metal that forms the inside of the engine compartment in proximity to the shock towers. I can't recall if that model had more than those locations.

4. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

5. Donald

Donald In First Gear

On my 1963 Ranchero I found the VIN stamped on the welded on painted bar in the top of the engine compartment that goes from the firewall to the left front shock tower.

6. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

On a 65, on the sheet metal the driver side front fender bolts to, adjacent to the shock tower.