Is this the correct and only support bracket for a 1969 radio?

Discussion in 'Car and Home Audio' started by Boiler92, Dec 30, 2022.

1. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'm planning on replacing my dash with the nice one I have I posted about a year or two ago soon and while I'm at it, replacing the heater core and installing an OEM AM radio I have.

Question - is this the only support bracket I need - assuming this is even correct - for a 1969 Ranchero? I clipped this image out of the 1969 service manual.

It seems like there should be two of these brackets, not just one.

Thanks.

1969 radio support.JPG

2. Boiler92

3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Both my 64 Sprint and my 67 Ranchero only have one bracket.

4. Boiler92

Thanks. Went ahead and bought the ebay bracket.

5. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

My '65 just has one bracket also, but goes from the back of the radio up to the underside of the dash.

pmrphil and Boiler92 like this.
  6. 1978GT

1978GT In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

If your radio chassis has a threaded stud on the back panel, you can add a universal radio bracket to be attached vertically or bent to 90 degrees and fastened to the underside of the dash. Use a wing nut on the stud.

is this the correct 2022 1230.JPG

7. Boiler92

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see how it goes. I don't even know if the radio I have works yet. Seller made no guarantees, but it is AM only and was cheap.

8. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I went through the "save the old AM radio" thing, because the one that came with the car worked, and I thought that would be cool. Then I realized how truly crappy AM is, so I found a vintage FM converter on eBay an installed that. That was a big hassle, because you have to have good AM reception for the FM converter to work, and I was always having to fiddle with the AM radio AND the converter to get any decent reception.
    I finally said 'F' that, got a modern RetroSound Laguna, wired it for 4 speakers, and couldn't be happier. Sold the AM and the converter on CL for $150 to help defray the cost.

Lucky.JPG

RancheroRandy and Boiler92 like this.
  9. Boiler92

I mostly listen to FOX Sports Radio on AM. If I decide I do want to upgrade I can probably still use the $20 bracket though. If not, 20 bucks won't break me.

I am a fan of classic rock too. Not too many AM stations in my area are that format, lol.

I can listen to all the conservative talk radio and the God squad stations on AM though :p

10. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Maximum Overdrive

The good old Sparkomatics!...Haven't seen one of those in a while and used one on a vehicle back in the 60s but can't remember which one...? o_O

11. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I have a Sparkomatic head unit in storage, in case this Clarion doesn't work. And at some point, I need to wire up the Clarion in order to see if it works.