It's Green!!!!

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by TestDummy, Dec 19, 2010.

1. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I arrive at the parents for Christmas and find my Ranchero was just painted. The wetsanding is under way at this very moment. It has 4 coats base/4 coats clear. I wasn't too keen on it being painted green, as some of you are well aware, but seeing it now, I have to say it's pretty sweet. The missing running lights don't bother me as much as they used to now either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2010
  2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Wow! Your Dad's car looks great!!!

(I merged your threads to be mean)

3. TestDummy

Thanks for the merging. Hey, I've done 90% of the work on it so far, and spent 90% of the money to get to that point. He comes in at the end and gets all the glory. But that's cool.

4. 72GTVA

Of course - Dad's should get the glory and respect, they started it all anyway. And it's further along than if you would have been working on it... (honest guess).

Your car does look good! How did the floor shifter, uh, aperature, come out (or get resolved...)?

I don't think you would have very much trouble with VA passenger plates and the State Inspection without the side markers - they don't look for them if they aren't there (usually) and if they are there they have to work and can't be broken. So - you might get away with it.

When do you expect to have it driveable???

5. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Most anybody can work and spend money.
    Skill is another story.
    Hope your dad lets you drive his car.:D

6. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

The car looks great! I love how the hood came out. Very nice job. :)

7. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

I think it looks great, and it is a good xmas gift from your father if I got this right. he fixed the paint :confused: and hopefully you get the keys next xmas:D:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2010
  8. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

Looking Good!!!
    I Like It!!!
    Ain`t Dad Great???
    Enjoy Dad while you got him...

9. TestDummy

True. Other than machine shop work, I paid nobody to do anything on this thing. My Dad is paying everyone to do pretty much everthing.

Here's a little history for some of ya'all late to the party.

For a wedding gift I got a 460 in 1997. I needed something to put it in, so I bought a Ranchero to restore around 1998. I then bought two more to have enough parts to finish one. The machine shop got the engine and I started restoring and gathering parts for the restore. I'm maling huge pregress until 2001,.. we have a baby, leaving me little time and even less money for the Ranchero. For the next few years, progress was slow, due to time and money, but progress was being made. By 2005 the engine was in but not running, the quarter panel had been replaced, bumpers restored, all panels were installed and lined up; things were looking good...until my job started tanking. In 2007 I had to take a job in VA, I lost $20K on my house and I ended up with no garage, so I leave the Ranchero at my Father in laws; to be finished in the future. Last year my Dad retires and decides to take on the Ranchero project. I tell him no, he does anyway. Things have been done I'm not happy about but, as Dan said, they are getting done sooner than I'd get it done, and my Dad's really happy doing this. It's only a car, right. I only have one Dad. Ah well. No matter what, I'll have the one of the nicest Rancero's in Michigan.

10. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

I think it would have looked good Grabber Blue....but could live with the green....Looks good Sean! Father/son proect will look great when done! So I dad going to drive it out to you when done

11. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

72GTVA wrote: "I don't think you would have very much trouble with VA passenger plates and the State Inspection without the side markers - they don't look for them if they aren't there (usually) and if they are there they have to work and can't be broken. So - you might get away with it."

That will depend on the inspector and how nit picky he/she wants to be,,, If you put antique tags on it ,you'll just have to file an afadavit at DMV stating that all safety equipment works,, Another plus is once registered Antique it's done , No more registraton or yearly Inspection fees, Just keep it insured and it's good to go

12. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

it aint easy bein green :D your dad did a great job!

13. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

still looks like a hole to me...;)
    [​IMG]

14. Denny

Denny In Maximum Overdrive

You just can't beat a GREEN Ranchero. :D

Cindy likes this.
  15. Drifterr

Drifterr In Second Gear

Sean, treasure your Dad while you have him. It is a void they leave when they are gone. Speaking from experience here. The Chero looks great and the color looks good too. I love the hood, it came out looking aces!!!

16. 72GTVA

He's more like bb every day - won't answer a simple question.

Wonder why he let him paint it "THAT" color...

17. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

It looks good. When does he plan on painting the hood?

18. 72GTVA

It is painted - he got the idea from Sarah...

19. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Ah yes, well one nice car deserves another! But it will be while before he is in her class.

20. TestDummy

What idea? The black hood? The kind found on all 70-71 GT Ranchero's and Torino's. That satin paint cost a fortune. Isn't hers the incorrect gloss black?