It's Green!!!!

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by TestDummy, Dec 19, 2010.

1. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Run on down and get the 4 wheels (magnums) from Goldfish and put 'em on long enough to get the visual (then bring 'em back)... will give you an idea...

Have 4 original 14x7 (I think) Magnums with the rings that could be refurbed... come get 'em.

Edited to add: Goldfish has 225/70R14s all around and they actually look pretty good. Bluefish has 235/60R15s all around and they look dumb, too much wheel opening showing on all four corners. I like the width, but the look at stock ride height just plain appears (wirty dord) goofy. I have 225/60R15s on the Mach1 which has been lowered an inch on all four corners and looks great. I put the 00 CV tires on Goldfish once to check out 16" wheels on it - those were 225/60R16 Eagle RSAs (Z-rated) and it looked very good.

Looking at your car, with the ride height you have now - I'd suggest a 70 profile if you use 14 or 15 inch wheels. 225 is as narrow as I'd go in the front. In the rear, 235, 245, 255, 265 assuming you want the loop potential (then again, you won't drive it so that is probably a moot point)...

Have you thought about maybe going to pre-2003 16" CV wheels on it? Opens your selection of salvage yard (cheap) rims and gets you into tire makes and styles that are actually available. Recall Sarah's problem in replacing her rear when she destroyed it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010
  2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

I knew I had seen that somewhere.....

3. 5.0 Chero

Yea whatever DAD wants!

4. seafoam71

seafoam71 In Third Gear

I've had the same dogdish idea for mine, I think the clean simple style is very cool. The colored powder coated steel wheels that are available look great.

Dark green is my choice for my Light green 71. I too prefer the look of stock diameter rims. 14" rims in front 15" in rear. 60 series tires in front and 50 series in the rear sounds good.

Actual tire sizes and rim widths could vary a bit I suppose.I want to fill my wells too, so this wheel/tire combo part is really interesting.

Cheers to Sean for a beautiful job. :D

5. Tim70ranchero

Tim70ranchero In Overdrive

Keep me in mind when you want to sell that stuff. The Chero looks good. ( i kinda like the marker lights on mine) The hood looks sweet.

I got a couple sizes taller tires in the rear as well. Like ya said fills it out better.

6. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Looks great Sean!Not crazy on color..spent alot of time-money making P4 paint go away on my project.Maybe green lazer decale on sides,GT emblems,ribs?Try 14" wheels and covers for that stock sleeper look.Sagemaidens has 215-60-14 on her ride and looks good!JMO[​IMG]

7. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I like the marker light look too, ah well. What size tires you runnin' Tim?

8. Tim70ranchero

Tim70ranchero In Overdrive

Ill have to go out to the garage and look. I'll let ya know, once I get brave enough to go out in the cold.

9. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

Ranchero looks SWEET!!! Sean, nothing like seeing a smile on a fathers face when they do something they enjoy. My dad bought a '67 Austin Healey Sprite in '09 and after much work and panel fabrication finished it up last summer, 78 and still kicking:cool:

10. TestDummy

True that! Thanks to all for your well wishes and support.

Here are a few more taken when we moved it back to my Dad's house. Kudos to my buddy Dave at Buckhorn Towing for the tow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 72GTVA

Did you ever learn why dad decided to eliminate the marker lights???

12. TestDummy

He loves the shaved and frenched look, like what is done to 50's Merc's. I asked him why he did it to my Ranchero and he said, "because it looks better". To him it might, but I sort of liked the lights. I heard he was planning to shave the door handles too, but my Bro-in-law talked him out of it,...thankfully!

13. 72GTVA

I like the look... don't know how truly effective the side markers are from a safety perspective although they've been required since 1968. Hope it doesn't cause you some issues down stream...

14. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I always figured the side markers were landing lights for the drunk about to t-bone you.

15. 5.0 Chero

I think it looks great with out them and wold have been even better with the handles shaved too..............I like your dad already!

16. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Dads on to something Sean.It can look clean and custom.Wish i would of listened to "Kustom Carl"and spent the time to make mods.But to much in hurry to get her done.This chero is top shelf![​IMG][​IMG]

17. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

There is a discreet answer for those missing marker lights Sean. You can easily hide a set of "Lite-N-Boltz" button head stainless LED lights in the bumper ends. They match the appearance of the factory bumper bolts and aren't really noticable untill lit up. You can get amber for the front and red for the rear. Around $15 a pair from Speedway Motors.
    ( http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Lite-N-Boltz-Head-Bolts,2417.html )

18. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

Hey thats nifty HB!

19. Hillbilly

Huevos, Sean, you can sorta' get an idea what those Lite N Boltz look like from these pics. As usuall, my camera was reluctant to work well in a cold garage but that's normal.

Attached Files:

20. Hillbilly

Camera just don't do justice to the brightness of those lights. Has a hard time with the color amber too I see. Oh well - - Maybe you can tell what they look like.

Attached Files: