IVY GLOW color code wanted

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by GRUMANIA, Jan 28, 2020.

1. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

I`m just about to refinish my (black) 72 Ranchero, it should be painted in its original color Ivy Glow. The painter asked me for a color code to mix the correct paint. Unfortunately the old paint numbers (see list) are absolutely not a help, modern paints are mixed after modern color codes.
    I have been told that the original color ( there is something left inside the doors ) has to be scanned.The scanner gives out 3- 5 different codes, a paint can be mixed after that.But then I have just numbers and no visual impression - how can I decide which color is the best ?
    On a metallic green paint ,it is not only important to find the right green, but also the size and appearance of the metallic particles.
    Does anyone know how I can get the perfect color code for Ivy Glow from 1972 ??? color codes.png ivy Glow72.jpg

2. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

This color 4C Ivy Glow is available in PPG . mix number MBC2362. All the paint work in my shop now is done in basecoat/clearcoat urethanes, the old single stage enamels are no longer available. The metallic is pearls now instead of aluminum particles but doing a complete paint you are not matching new paint to old paint. With a clear topcoat that wasn't used back then there will be slightly different look, but the shade of green and the sparkle of the metallic will be so close to original nobody will ever know the difference.

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  3. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

Thanks for this info !
    Is there any chance to see this paint in reallife, before ordering it from PPG ?

4. 1979 RANCHERO GT

Not unless you ordered a pint and it's not cheap! Five years ago I painted my 79 using a 2003 Explorer white pearl. I had the paint store mix it so we would not drain down our mix bank and it was over $1400, just for the paint. I know the price has increased considerably. We don't do full paint jobs at my shop so I'm not sure the price for full gallons of mixed colors. Surely Glasurit or Spies can mix it. Where it is a early Mustang color most paint brands can mix them.

5. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

I spent a lot of time with this now and found out that neither PPG nor Glasurit have a proper formula. My friend has some good contact to Sherwin Wiliams and they have stocked an original sample from 1972.They made a formula and created a water based base paint that fits perfect.As we do not like to work with water based paints, the sample will be scanned and a new formula will be made for "standard" base coats. I`ll keep you updated and are happy to share the mixing formula for anyone interested.

6. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

Meanwhile the mixing formula has been made by Axalta / Standox Germany and it`s a perfect match to the Sherwin Williams tone. However, due to the different style the two painters applied the paint to the sheets, there is still a little difference visible - but that is only depending on the angle you look at it. I think that is caused by the different angle of the metallic particles. comparison.jpg

7. 1979 RANCHERO GT

Could also be the transparancy of the paint, how many coats and what color sealer it was sprayed over.

8. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

Talked to car painters and they said the match is 98 %. Also, I should consider, that the original color sample that was made after the original formula is also not a 100% match to the color that was made back then (We are using water based paints today).
    I am satisfied with the result.

9. Ran Man

Ran Man In Third Gear

I had O'reillys mix mine for me and it came out really well. They scanned the original paint and I am happy with the results

10. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

There it is in all its new glory front.jpg left side.jpg

11. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That is beautiful! Andrewok1 is gonna freak when he sees it!

12. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

yea buddy ,.IvyGlow -- BEAUITIFUL JOB - WOW SEE WOWO !!!!!!!!!!!

13. handy_andy_cv64

I always called that 'apple Green' when I was a kid. Sure catches your eye when polished and waxed.

14. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

The color is very strange and therefor interesting.In the shade, it looks very dark, but once in the sun, its very light. I am glad that I picked the original color as its been back in 72`, instead of making it black again.

15. handy_andy_cv64

It's the metalflake. No light to reflect makes the paint look darker.

16. Garbageman

Garbageman In Overdrive

Can’t beat that color.

17. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

18. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

I had a 1980 F150 that I had repainted to the 1986 Dark Forest Metallic Green... loved that color!!! In the shade it looked Black... looking with the sun over your shoulder, it was a vivid dark green... with the sun at a 90 degree, you would see purples and blues.... Got a lot of compliments about that paint.

19. ChairOh

ChairOh In First Gear

Totally awesome. To me it looks identical. Here is a quick shot of my original 73 paint taken with high flash to expose the particles. Can you post the final info/formula you went with? I would like to save that for future use.
    ivy3.jpg

20. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

The mixing formula will not help you, unless your paint system is water based and from STANDOX.
    Each manufacturer has its own mixing formula.The STANDOX formula is named marvel green now.They made the formula after a sample I sent them. The sample was from the company that made the colors in the 70ies.
    Ilja