Jeff's 70 Ranchero 500

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by Jeff B, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

1125171633.jpg

Finally had some time to work on the Ranchero. Needed to get the seats out of the way so they were first up. I was ready to make mounts or brackets, but the Milan buckets went in using their stock brackets. It took some time to fit them and I had to massage the brackets and drill new holes in the floor but it worked out. Nice and comfy too. Now I need to run a hot for the 6 way motors and see if I can figure out if they have heat. Pretty happy with the result.

LSChero and Basstrix like this.
  2. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive

Impressive

3. Jeff B

For my next project, I am going to (try to) add a supercharger to my Ranchero. Last summer I found a used Paxton supercharger setup from an early Fox body Mustang. Uses the Paxton SN89 blower and included most of the parts and brackets to get me started. My truck has a very stock 302 2 barrel motor that runs good. A while ago, I started collecting the balance of the parts needed. I will do this write up in pieces as I complete steps so it may take a little while until all is done and since I am adapting these parts to my '70, there may be some bumps along the way. What could possibly go wrong?
    The first step for me was to install the crankshaft or drive pulley to the harmonic balancer. I had to fit the blower pulley into the factory pulley.
    One “nests” inside the other. I removed the pulley bolts and put the blower pulley in place and it does not fit. There is a projection on the base of the blower pulley that fits inside the balancer/crankshaft and it was too big by about 4 hairs. I called my son Joe and asked if I could use his lathe, took some measurements and took my parts over to his place.
    Joe just happens to have a '65 Ranchero with a 289 running a Powerdyne blower. That little truck runs pretty darned good. We set up the lathe and in about 15 minutes I had removed enough material to get the pulley to fit. Back in the car and made a stop at OSH for some bolts and other hardware.

This is the result.
    0128181800.jpg

The blower pulley was spot on. No wobble or anything. The stock pulley is wobbling a bit, poor old thing is a victim of mass production but it should be OK.
    The part that we turned down could not have fit any better. Any bigger and I would have to put it in the freezer to get it to fit.
    OSH had only 3 bolts at the right length so I bought the next size up and it worked out better as they had a longer shoulder
    on them where they pass thru the blower pulley. Trimmed off about 3/8” on each of them and it went together fine.
    The fan and shroud will not fit right now, so I will have to dig into that soon. I have a electric fan and shroud from a Crown Vic so I will see
    if that will work. Putting the 2 pulleys in place was a bit of a comedy as I don’t have 3 hands. A little blue LocTite and all snugged up.
    So the next step will be to fit the bracket that holds the blower and move the alternator into its new spot. Same side, just will sit below the blower.
    I have 2 belts on for now (no AC belt yet) but no fan or shroud yet.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Basstrix likes this.
  4. Jeff B

Had some time today, so I started to set up the bracket for the blower.
    SN89 test fit 630.jpg

This was a very good thing to do to further understand how the blower installs and works. Today I pulled off the alternator and its brackets and started to fit up the blower bracket. Seems I will have to fiddle with a handful of things for the mounting.
    1)Dip stick did not fit. I did some tweaking and removed the tab that secures it to the head. It fits now but I will have to fashion a bracket somehow.
    2)Top rad hose needs to be real different to clear the bracket and the blower belt.
    3)Pushed the battery all the way forward in its tray.
    4)With the blower in place, the discharge port is aimed right at the shock tower. I will have to re-clock
    the case to get the discharge more toward the valve cover.
    5)Need to find an air filter. Didn't have time to look, but was wondering if I had enough room in front of the
    shock tower to cut a hole for a 3" tube to place the air intake outside of the engine compartment.
    6)The alternator has moved down below the blower. Have to find an adjuster bracket thing that will work and figure out a new belt size.
    7) Relieved to see that the blower and alternator upper and lower pulleys seem to line up. Might have to shim the alternator a bit, but all is pretty close. Big bonus is the AC belt does not get touched.
    A new AC compressor is in my future.
    8)Need to see if the electric fan I have will fit. I have removed the original fan and extension and replaced the bolts.
    9)It is very crowded near the thermostat housing. Looks like the by pass hose was poorly installed, has a kink started. The heater hose needs to be a little longer to clear the blower bracket but wants to kink if I add length. Might try to tweak the metal tube to raise it a bit.

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

2) Try an 87-91 302/351W truck hose. I'll get a pic if I can remember to do so, but it has a big jog to the inside to clear the alternator/tensioner bracket and serp belt. It has a good chance of solving that issue.
    9) There are metal coil outer pieces you can buy that prevent a kink. They just slip over the outside of the heater hose.

6. Jeff B

Andy,
    Had a look at an 1986 big Bronco upper rad hose and in the book it looks close. As luck would have it, there is also a 1986 big Bronco in storage at work with a 302 in it and that hose
    has potential as well. Good starting point, thanks.

7. handy_andy_cv64

Yah velcome!

8. Jeff B

A little progress this weekend with a lot of fiddling around. Made a new bracket and painted the dipstick. Install was easy.
    dipstick mock1834.jpg
    dipstick refurb241a.jpg
    Sorry about the pic, I think it might be time for a new cell phone.

Got the 90 degree stat housing on with new heater and bypass hoses. Had a bit of drama with the old housing. I broke a bolt removing it but
    lucked out big time with the head of the bolt breaking off leaving me with a nub to grab with Visegrips. New bolts and anti-seize with the new housing and a fresh thermostat.

Had mentioned the upper rad hose was a possible problem. I searched 2 stores for a possible match and ran out of time. I needed to get the car back in its spot so I decided to try the old hose just to be able to move. It actually kinda fits.
    blower rad hose1745a (2).jpg
    I may try a fresh uncut hose and see if I can pick up a little more clearance, but this might just work out. Thanks again Andy for the suggestions. For whatever reason, 2 parts stores did not have an F150 hose in stock.

The alternator is now in its new home and I need to fashion an adjuster for it. I finished adding a fitting to the new fuel pump for boost reference.
    The blower has been re-clocked and no longer aims at the shock tower. So getting closer, but still more to do.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  9. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Good progress.
    Love it when a plan comes together.

Jeff B likes this.
  10. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

HEY JEFF , looking good .where did you find the super charger ,looks like it was made for that engine, i had looked at them before and never found then under 1500 .00

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  11. Jeff B

Thanks Andrew. My son saw it listed on the Facebook marketplace. If I remember right, I got it for 800.00. The parts are originally from a early Fox body Mustang kit and it was mostly complete. Everything is
    pretty much bolting on, but I have to go thru all the parts or where the new parts affect the old and adapt, move and adjust. I guess this style of blower would be one of the few that were available in the early '70s
    and this blower family goes back to when Studebakers roamed the earth. In the late '60s and thru the '70s they were going on Mustangs and Cobras rather than Rancheros. You can find pics on the innerwebs
    with 2 of these blowers on a Cobra.

12. handy_andy_cv64

I may have a pic of a Monarch that was (at the time) for sale at the Towe Auto Museum in Sacramento, with that design blower on a 302, but I don't know if it would be clear enough to help you. If you want, I can take time to search my pics for it.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  13. Jeff B

Andy.
    If you have time I would appreciate it. (need all the help I can get) Monarch, Granada and Mustang shared the same architecture so there might be a common thread there and that is the approx. vintage of
    the kit that I am using. Thanks.

14. handy_andy_cv64

OK, soon as I'm settled at home, I'll dig through my photo collection.

15. handy_andy_cv64

My apologies, but those photos of my trip to Sacramento in '98 are not with my box of photos. I'll keep an eye open, but I can't say if or when I'll run into them. But I certainly had a helluva walk down Memory Lane.

16. Jeff B

No worries. I spotted a candidate with the pics that Garbageman recently posted. Checking out a hose for a 70 with a 351.

17. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Hard pipe the center section of the upper hose Jeff.Kool project!
    Blower pic.jpg Blower pic.jpg

Basstrix likes this.
  18. Jeff B

Thanks LSC. I do have that option from the kit and may well have to, but I was hoping to use a full rubber hose. The metal section does have
    the advantage if the blower throws a belt.

19. Cindy

Cindy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Your photos are great, Jeff. I like what you’ve done so far!

Jeff B likes this.
  20. Jeff B

I have made a little progress with the blower install. Built a tensioner and bracket for the alternator.
    braceandstrut940a.jpg
    And I picked up a radiator fan from PickaPart. It's from a Crown Vic and the idea was to trim it so it would fit sort of like a stock install, but it would not fit. Plan B was to trim off the shroud and nest the fan into my stock shroud. I kind of like how it worked out as it kind of hides the electric fan.
    Ranchero fan1217.jpg
    We'll see if it is up to the task. If it does it will give the ability to replace the motor should it ever go out pretty easily.

Cindy likes this.