Jewelry and machines

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ribald1, Sep 13, 2017.

1. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Jeff B likes this.
  2. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Wow. I skimmed by that article for later until I had time to read it. I am guilty of wearing my wedding ring and not using eye and ear protection enough. Short story from my Dad. Dad ran a screen printing shop.
    He built and modified machines to suit the tasks he had. He trained employees to run the machines. On a normal day, his printer was running a simple job. She reached to make a running adjustment
    to the machine and snagged her wedding ring on a bolt. The machine kept running thru its print cycle, and proceeded to lift her up by the armpit and stall with her hanging a foot off the ground.
    Dad got her down and had to cut off her ring and she suffered no permanent damage. This was lucky for all concerned.
    There is another story from the Dad files about long hair and a spinning shaft. That did not go well at all. Take care of yourselves kids.

3. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

Yep I've been involved with holding someone down so we could cut a wedding ring that shorted out on a battery post.
    And countless times cutting someone's long hair from creeper wheels.
    Seen watches fly across shop that shorted out battery posts.

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Long hair and a spinning shaft, I had heard that, and two other horror stories from my junior high woodshop teacher. The other two were lumber kicking back from the table saw (and he left the holes in the wall as a reminder) and the one time someone was in a hurry and left the chuck key in the chuck on the drill press. That key was attached to the press with a chain. You can see where this is going; the student survived, but according to the teacher, there was arterial spurting that nearly cost the student his life.

5. Jeff B

I had a J.H. shop teacher (sadly a drunk) do a live demo on taking a chunk out of a finger on a table saw. We got real good at making push sticks after that.

6. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, push sticks that didn't give you splinters. Ours wasn't a drunkard, but surprisingly, no eye protection.

7. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I neglected ear and eye protection for far too long...my hearing is toast..I've been lucky with the eyes, but now I have safety glasses hanging near every piece of equipment in my garage that most definitely needs them and a pair at my work bench for whatever. The company I work for really pushes safety.

8. Jeff B

Yeah, tinnitus takes some getting used to. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Basstrix likes this.
  9. Basstrix

Looking at the bright side, I'm never annoyed by crickets...and that's the truth!

10. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

2 instances in my life. 14 year old friend threw anchor off boat, snagged grade school ring. He went for a swim. fortunate it didn't hold him under.

1963 young short draftee at fort sill OK jumped up to hang a poncho on a nail. He came down, finger with wedding ring didn't. Sort of an automatic discharge. Zimmerman, from Philadelphia. Wonder if he owns a ranchero

11. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Electricians don't wear jewelry, but I relented to a wedding ring, for a while.
    What got me was a roll up door on the back of a truck. Required surgery that was expensive to correct to the back of the truck to get my hand out.
    A was on a jobsite where another electrician received a serious 440V shock. He had no jewelry, but he was wearing button fly jeans and they have exposed metal on the inside in a very inconvenient location for an electrical burn. (During a serious shock the electricity will leave the skin to any metal near it, then return, resulting in burns)

12. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

be safe around moving equipment
    [​IMG]

13. handy_andy_cv64

I did not need to see that. I just ate, for chrissakes!!

14. Cindy

Cindy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Gross.

15. Jeff B

Yeesh! I know it is real life and all, but maybe you could link that one.

16. Basstrix

One of my buddies is in charge of safety for a large region in a steel company. He used to send me that stuff all the time...I've seen that one more than once. It's sort of like those faces of death videos....hard to look at.

17. handy_andy_cv64

Oh, you would have to bring up Faces of Death!!!

18. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Loved the original Faces of Death Series Thought thee 1001 ways to die was stupid

19. Basstrix

It was strange intrigue for me...there was something compelling about watching them with your buddies, but I always ended up feeling queasy inside afterwards.

20. Cindy

Cindy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I thought 1000 Ways to Die was kinda interesting in a slow-motion-train-wreck way.