Junk Yard SCCCCCOOOOOOORRRRRRRRE!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Doc76251, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

So I get a call from the wife this AM, she needs me to get a copy of the local news paper and bring it to work and bring her lunch (she's a nurse). The lunch part I get but what's up with the paper? All she said was "Dented thin blue line". Some of you may have noticed VA Beach in the news yesterday. So lets just say I go to shake hands and thank a real American Hero this morning and make brownie points with the wife. Since I had to drive all that way I figured I would hit the local pick a part yard.

I will take karma every day...

Scored a 3G alternator and some spare wire (not really a hard find there were a couple dozen of them)

Then as I was poking around there sat an 03 Mustang GT, mostly stripped out no motor no trans, no hood but sticking out of the firewall was a no sh!t for real Ford Hydroboost brake system!!

Before I ran to the parking lot for my box O' tools I figured I'd poke around the truck section just to see.

Low and behold there sat a 94' E-250 Conversion van with shag carpet, drapes and a fuzzy dash board. Oh it also happened to be a 5.8L with a Saginaw PS pump and AC!!!!!! I ran back to the truck for tools but there was no way my 3/8" 13mm was getting those bolts loose (hoping I didn't booger one too bad trying).

Tomorrow I go back with man size tools and a cheater bar to extricate the piece of unobtanium along with the pulled AC compressor. I'm pretty sure the PS pump is siezed but that will cover my $24 core charge for the reman one I can get from Auto Zone for $76 with two ports. I'm also going to snatch the crank pulley and look around to see if I can find an idler/tension pulley that will fit.

[​IMG]

Feeling pretty good right now!!!

Cheers,

Doc

2. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

good score Craig

3. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

And for the second installment.....

[​IMG]

Home before noon, it's amazing what the right tools will do. Half way to a serpentine belt system!!!

I'm going to have to keep a log book of all the stuff I've changed and out of what vehicle it came from just in case I or somebody needs repair parts.

Cheers,

Doc

Saff54, Basstrix and andrewok1 like this.
  4. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

you got it going on now, few more pieces of the puzzle

5. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Yep! The alternator will probably go in as a stand alone until I build up some Chero Bux for the 408W Stroker build. Once that happens it will be fast and furious to do the interior, engine bay, Hydroboost and AC installs. That probably means a year of construction and fab. Right now I just want to drive her a little bit more and to be able to go out after dark.

Cheers,

Doc

Edit to add: I wasn't able to get the crank pulley off the motor as it kept turning:( That however means there is a roller cam 351W sittiing in my local junk yard dying for a stroke that I can't afford yet o_O

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  6. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Take someone with you with a pry bar to hold the flex plate so that you can break the bolt loose from the balancer.

7. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

An F4TE 5.8? Hells yeah! The Sag, HB and 3G will be the part of your stroker build I'll be watching!

8. handy_andy_cv64

That compressor, are you also planning a 134a conversion?

9. handy_andy_cv64

Oh, and when busting crank pulley bolts loose, have a breaker bar or second big ratchet with a 15/16" socket and apropo extension to hold the crank still, by torquing in opposite directions, it works great. Also, use a 6-pt. 9/16" socket on the pulley bolts.

10. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

I'm kind of sitting here a bit beside myself. I NEVER expected to find EVERYTHING in one place. The 3G I knew I could find and I have an answer to a niggling little question thanks to AQL (Todd). The PS pump while a Sag is not the one I need but it's close enough to cover a core charge. The Biggest find was the Ford HB system I never expected to find one but there it was. The second biggest was the doggone bracket for the PS pump and AC. I searched high and low for a part number and on all the conversion pages NOBODY ever listed it. Just as soon as I strip it down and polish it up I'ma post it so everybody can find it. On the AC, it's not a conversion it's an install (I have a non AC car an Momma want's AC) and I will go aftermarket because I can't see the utility in sticking a 40+ year old system in just to spend money to convert it.

Parts list:
    Ford Hydroboost brake master and pump: 03 Mustang GT, 5.0L V8
    Saginaw Steering pump/AC & bracket: 94 E-250 Econoline conversion van 5.8L V8
    130 Amp 3G alternator: 1999 Mercury Sable Wagon, 3.0L V6

The crank pulley I can go back for as well as an idler pulley which I will need to put it all together. Once I had the parts out I felt like I had just found the golden Easter egg and I wanted to get checked out before someone else figured out what I had. All total it cost ~ $200 but that is a damn sight cheaper than the after market options for just the brackets to do the serpentine. I will have to see if I delete the AC can I run the serpentine w/o the idler. More to research and things to chase.

Cheers,

Doc

11. handy_andy_cv64

That Sag bracket is Econoline service only, and as far as the HB goes, you want the Sag. What you need, though, is a GM truck HB Sag pump from a diesel pickup, which should connect right up to your HB unit.

12. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Second Gear

my HB is hooked up to the original PS pump. had to make my own lines. wont find any old US vehicles in a pick a part yard over here

13. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Nice! If ya go back to yard,grab fittings that connect to booster.Will help ya when come time to get hoses fabed.Heads up,all brake line fittings are metric/bubble flare.

14. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Andy, The bracket was the piece of Unobtanium, I was already considering the pump from a HD something or another. I have much research and things to learn before I start putting it together.
    UK, I was considering that but lucked into the whole enchilada.
    LSC, I got the tubing going to the prop blocks and the blocks themselves. The other ones were plumbed into the rack and pinion and would never fit. I may go back and slice off the connecting bits at both ends as there is merit to your idea.

Cheers,

Doc

15. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

I like Andy's GM pump idea. I really like their truck pumps that are small in size and have the remote reservoir, hold more oil and don't have that tin can reservoir that is easily bent and leaks on ya. Seen them on one ton 4x4 pickups with big block engines. Bolts in where the regular Saginaw pumps fit and have provisions for Hydro Boost brakes.

16. handy_andy_cv64

^^^That, I didn't know, I'll have to pass it along to Fullsizebronco.com, since Sag swaps are popular for Broncos.

17. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

GREAT. Now I have to hunt down ANOTHER part number but for a Chebby this timeo_O:(

JK, that is great info and I'm digging the thought of a remote reservoir. Got any particulars on them?

Cheers,

Doc

18. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Never looked for part numbers, just had to go to the yards and harvest them. Suburbans, 4x4 big block trucks had them. Pump looked similar to the ones on 4.6 Ford engines. Small. Conventional high pressure line out with a large diameter return line from the reservoir. On the reservoir was the return line ports for the steering and H/B. Not sure about the year models, around 75 thru 85, some had the reservoir on a bracket hanging off the A/C compressor while others had the reservoir mounted way over on the inner fender. I liked the inner fender mount because it opened up a nice area if you wanted headers. I worked hard to not learn the GM numbers intentionally. Didn't care for their vehicles at the time and with a few exceptions I still don't. Don't know if they will interchange but GM cars with LT-1 engines use a tiny separate reservoir pump, 91 thru 96 Chevy, Buick, Olds wagons and Cadillac rear wheel drive Broughams. Might be worth a look. LT-1 Corvettes have the same setup.