Junkyard sound--What to look for?

Discussion in 'Car and Home Audio' started by Jeff B, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Wondered about this one over the weekend. Since I try to troll the local Pic-a-part when I can, are there any factory sound system parts (speakers, stereos etc.) worth watching for? I am not an audiophile and am not current on the "latest and greatest" tech, but it would be nice to play a CD or plug in a thumb drive or Ipod and have some tunes. To make things worse, I won't cut my dash so I would have to mount the unit somewhere else (I guess). Any tips would be appreciated.

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Many new entertainment heads, as they are often called, are wired such that they won't work in anything other than what they were installed in. At the factory they are synced with the vehicles computers, and if a new one is installed, the dealer has to enter a code through the OBD port using their scan tools.

3. Jeff B

Sean, that's a very good point I did not consider. Is there a year range that started?
    I also don't know anything about amps and sub-woofers. My only experience with that stuff is when an SUV equipped with them pulls up behind me and MY car shakes.

FreeBird likes this.
  4. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Fourth Gear

Sometimes you can find the codes on the internet that will allow you to use the system or there are sites that will charge you for the code, BUT, be careful with those sites as some have proven to be "shady"... :mad:

TestDummy likes this.
  5. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Not sure about years. Some cars had this feature in the 90's, although, they are probably easier to hack.

Check out some of these. Most under $100, and you won't need a passcode. Crutchfield is HQ'd here in C'Ville. In the spring they have a tent sale, dumping all their demo's and returns. There you can pick up a sweet car radio for $30.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/outlet_category_3/Car-Audio-Video-GPS-Outlet-Products.html

Hillbilly likes this.
  6. MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Don't waste your time. You'll be better off buying new speakers and a compatible head unit that you can install without cutting your dash. Retrosound makes units that can be fitted into existing dashes without chopping. All can be had for less than 200 clams.

TestDummy likes this.
  7. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

Yeah, I wouldn't bother either. Car audio has dropped a lot in terms of cost and you can pick stuff up new for very cheap now. I reckon even a low end modern unit will sound better than most 90's car units. Check out amazon and read the reviews to know which one to get

8. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Jeff, I have a Am FM for a 70 if you are interested PM me..

9. 1978GT

1978GT In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

I'll cast another NO vote on pulling audio equipment from the yard. Prices on new stuff come down as technology marches on - a definite win/win.

10. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

And miss out on all the fun of digging it out of the other car, installing it, and finding out it doesn't work?

1978GT likes this.
  11. Jeff B

Dang Ribald, where is your sense of adventure? I did give up looking for such at the boneyard. I marvel at how hammered some of these cars are on the INSIDE.

12. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

All righty then. Seriously, you take a jump box with you to the yard and power up the system before you take the whole mess out. If it truly does work and sounds nice then you rip it from the vehicle. My personal favorite is the JBL / Alpine systems out of Navigator Lincolns. Nice speakers with a decent sub, tape and multi disc players, and some have nice DVD players with video screens in the headrests or fold-down units in the roof. Blue Tooth is nice too as is satellite capability. Just depends on how seriously you want a particular system. If it doesn't work, go to the next one, you'll eventually find a nice system.

13. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

OK ... can you give us an example of how difficult it would be to wire one of these into a Ranchero? Thinking that is going to be a lot more involved than hooking up two speakers.

14. bigears

bigears In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

I'm with the don't bother side, new gear is reasonably cheap all you need is a unit with
    a USB port. It can be mounted out of sight operated with a remote I have 8,000 songs
    on my memory stick more than enough to find music for any mood or occasion.

Then there's Bluetooth and wireless speakers mind none of that will do FM/AM if thats your thing

15. Hillbilly

Not a pro here BB. Just like how some systems sound. Be prepaired to literally gut the donor vehicle to grab all the wiring harness you need. Door panels, dash, carpet, quarter trim, headliner, most near all the interior will be pulled to get to the wires and components. After removal, you do the single edge razor blade routine to harvest the relevant wires. then you can shorten or lengthen the needed wire to place the components where you want them. Never said it was quick. BB, I trade or buy entire vehicles from the repo guys and local yards- - Get what I want at my leisure, then sell or stash the rest of it for later. Only have my time involved as the rest of the vehicle pays for the system I remove. It is involved but if you have all the parts it isn't that complicated to transfer a system to another vehicle. Wireless speakers in a car is a joke, too many outside frequency intruders. As far as FM or AM, I can listen to nearly any station in the world in my cars via Bluetooth streaming from my phone. Too lazy to plug in thru the USB port but it is there if wanted.

16. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Hillbilly, my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek when I made that post.
    Anyone who has pulled much from yards knows that lament.
    Personally, a radio is a helpful distraction when stuck in a traffic jam, but I prefer the sound of my machine and the wind through the windows otherwise.
    Then again, I don't have a radio or TV in my office or home.
    I hold nothing against those who enjoy those things. I just enjoy being my own company.

17. Hillbilly

BB, it isn't just sound systems that can be transferred. I have a 1996 Buick Roadmaster wagon that is subject to receiving items from other rides in the quest for different. Buick never offered things like a center console with a floor shifter in those wagons. Fortunately, a 2000 Olds Bravada got traded for that provided a console and shifter along with heated power lumbar memory seats who will donate their internals to the Buick seats. The bonus is I still have a great running engine, trans, and the rest of the running gear to finance my parts.

18. Jeff B

HB. Any chance we could see your Roadmaster? Sounds like a great car.

19. Hillbilly

Buick 1996 001.jpg Believe it or not I haven't taken any pics of it yet. Basic blue/green and wood running a set of 17" Eleanor rims with Michelin light truck radials. Previous owner in Ohio swapped out the LT-1 for a LT4 from a 96 Corvette. Haven't done the seats and console yet, but have hidden a 12" sub and amp in the rear storage opposite side of the spare tire. JBL speakers in the other factory spots pushed by a Sony head unit. No rust anywhere and from Ohio - Go figure ? Garage queen, had to be. Do have one pic of under the hood, need to take some in daylight.

Jeff B likes this.
  20. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

yea those Bravada consoles do work nice. Here is a photo of my son's 96 road master wagon front interior.

[​IMG]