K code?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Vin Decoder/Production Numbers' started by beerbelly, Jan 12, 2017.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

I know this is primarily a Ranchero site, but there are a lot of Ford gurus here so I thought I'd ask about this '65 Mustang advertised as a K code car. The price seemed low for what appeared to be beautiful car (27K), and it included the original window sticker. The engine is listed as a 289 2V V8, with a listing below that for a '289 4V HI PERF 3 MOS OR 4000 MI POW TRN WARRANTY'.

Does that indicate a true K engine, or was this an additional warranty ordered with the car? Running your new Mustang at the drag strip was popular back in the day....

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-12%20at%205.58.05%20AM.png

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

IIRC, to get the V8, you paid the $108 for the items that went with the V8, namely the 5-lug hubs, bigger radiator, etc., then you paid the $334.60 for the K-code engine, which was the Hi-Po 289 with the triple deuce carburetion. All the other 4-barrel engines also warranted an extra charge beyond the $108.

3. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Fourth Gear

The warranty was probley cut back due to the way it was to be driven.
    The Boss 302 came with no warranty.

4. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero MODERATOR Staff Member

that it the (K) code option with a note that it had a shorter warranty, the 4V was the hipo
    Shelby/Ford parts offered an over the counter 6V set up that could have been dealer inatalled, but it was not factory installed and I believe installation voided the warranty

5. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

Not to be forgotten, there is a regular 4V which is the "A" code. The A or K code are the only engines that were available if the GT option was ordered on the 65-66 Mustang. Might be a few Rancheros that had the K engine.

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'll look that up, see if it was available for Rancheros.

7. T16592

T16592 In Fourth Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

Just looking at a picture from the internet, I wont say its a real window sticker, but it appears to be very much like the one for our mustang K code. Bought new in and still in the family since 1965. Plus you can see at the bottom of the sheet the VIN's 5th digits engine code is a 'K'.

8. plumcolr

plumcolr In Overdrive

Other info on K codes, easily spottable stuff: Dual point distributor. Car serial number stamped on block skirt (behind the starter). Solid lifters. Different front damper. Streamlined almost header style cast exhaust manifolds. Stiffer suspension, meaning spring coils are thicker. I think the lower control arm stampings are heavier. 9 inch rear diff, not 8 inch. Bigger alternator pulley (so it would not exceed max speed).