Knock Knock... Who's there? Cylinder #3!

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by FordR500GT, May 29, 2018.

1. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Big block weight, small block power.

2. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

Someone in another forum appropriately explained your view;

"With all due respect to anyone out there that disagrees with me, I believe anyone among us who critiques the engineering of the 351C 4V is like one of the Catholic clerics who opposed the heliocentric science of Galileo. None of us have the knowledge & experience those guys were privileged to have. We are not in the same league. When it comes to engine design we are fumbling in the dark compared to the 351C 4V engineers.
    There are secrets hidden in that design waiting for us to discover. But the first step in learning is putting ego aside and admitting to ourselves we are not well informed on the subject."

Basstrix likes this.
  3. ribald1

CJ Nobody has said it more succinctly.
    THAT is why Clevelands are unpopular.

4. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Been racing 351-c's for over 30 years. I have built them for the circle track and the drag strip.
    If you know some minor secrets then you can really get some power and relibility out of them.
    Most people don't like them because they have been useing the low compression engines that started to come on the scene after 71. As everyone knows they have huge intake and exhaust ports and with the low compression engine they were just to big for the street.
    The C engine was developed by Ford as the next racing high preformance engine for the 70's.
    NASCAR mandated the C engine until the late 90's as the standard Ford base engine so they can make some power.
    With the recommended oil modifications the C engine will run 7500 RPM all day. They just don't start to breath until you get past the 5500 RPM point.
    As to the orgional poster my guess is that he may have a bad cam.
    Greg

Basstrix and ForistellFord like this.
  5. CJ Guy

Basstrix likes this.
  6. ribald1

You can make a lot of power with any engine, so that is a pointless argument.
    I personally am of the opinion that had Ford stuck it out with the mid block, say populating light trucks with it punched out to around 400 cubes rather than the tall deck Windsor, the aftermarket would have picked up on it and the heads would have made it a big block Chevy slayer.
    Well, that didn't happen.
    As to the 'secrets', they are only 'secret' because so few people work with the engines, and those who do tend to act like they don't want anyone else using the engine. Hang around Windsor or 385 guys and you will get lots of good info, gratis.

7. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

I thought that remark might bring you out how ya doing Roy?

8. CJ Guy

Ya I know, it was hard not saying anything. Doing good, just moving back to AR (arkansas), I'll be glad when I am done.

ForistellFord likes this.
  9. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Moving i
    Moving is a pain in the ass