Latest brew

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by beerbelly, Jun 14, 2020.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

A German Hefeweizen. That's the kind of head a guy wants in a Hefe. And I am, of course, waiting for the smart ass sexual innuendo comments....:rolleyes:

IMG_4832.JPG IMG_4831.JPG

Jimbob, LSChero, Jeff B and 2 others like this.
  2. Sheriff

Sheriff In Second Gear

Beerbelly, I think you may have reached your coronavirus limit.

TestDummy likes this.
  3. beerbelly

I don't believe there is a limit if I'm staying home & not driving...

4. Sheriff

Sheriff In Second Gear

Good point, CHEERS!

pmrphil and beerbelly like this.
  5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That looks very good, nice golden color, no visible floaties. How's the taste?

6. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Looks Refreshing, Hope you dont get the Hershey Squirts drinking too much of that hooch..

7. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I bought a home brew kit on Craigslist a few weeks ago for $30. Fermentation bucket, bottling bucket, hoses, filler, caps, caper and a kit to make a batch of Kama Citra IPA. Currently we are in fermentation mode. It's been 8 days and the bubbling has started to slow. It spells wonderful.

Q: How long do I have to bottle after it stops fermenting? The bottling takes time, and I was hoping to do it this Saturday.

HuevosRanchero and beerbelly like this.
  8. beerbelly

View attachment 17321
    Atta boy! Good to hear there's another brewer out there, and any beer with Citra or Mosaic hops are my new favorites. I have a couple of suggestions:

a) If the equipment is used, and you haven't done it yet, I recommend cleaning & sanitizing EVERYTHING (bottles & caps too). Soak everything in a mild bleach/water solution and then rinse WELL; even the slightest trace of bleach can be tasted. After rinsing, I put the bottles upside down in the dishwasher to drain. I use PBW to clean, and Star San to sanitize, like the big boys use.
    b) Don't be in a rush to bottle; if fermentation isn't complete, you'll be making bottle bombs. I'd wait 2 weeks.
    c) After the 2 week fermentation, I transfer the wort to another vessel (secondary or bright tank) for a few days to leave the old used yeast behind. It gives you a cleaner bottle of beer.
    d) Don't forget to boil & add priming sugar to the wort before bottling, and mix it in well. Corn sugar works best vs. table sugar.
    e) When I bottle, I bring a chair into the kitchen, and set my bottling bucket with primed beer next to the dishwasher. I can grab a bottle, fill & cap using a pan on the floor to catch any overflows.

Best of luck TD, and feel free to PM me with any questions.

IMG_4857.JPG

TestDummy and Jimbob like this.
  9. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

Great tips BB, I was planning to start a home brew in the near future, just need to get all the equipment. I did it before many years ago (1990) when I lived at home and my dad had all the equipment, he since got rid of it though when they moved and I had no use for it at the time.

beerbelly likes this.
  10. TestDummy

The used kit I bought came with a new bottle of no-rinse cleaner stuff, which I used after scrubbing the hell out of both buckets with a light OxyKleen wash. My bottles I soaked in Oxy to get the labels off. Then I'm going to put them in the dishwasher with a high temp wash. I've read up on this and watched many videos, but will ask you for sure. Thanks for the advice.

11. beerbelly

It sounds like you're off to a good start TD. The number one secret to success is sanitization, especially after the boil.
    It's a great hobby; my wife got me started with a Christmas gift kit 22 years ago, and I still enjoy the hell out of it. Here's the brew tower and kegerator I built for all-grain brewing & kegging.
    Bottling tip: Include a sanitized plastic bottle from a carbonated beverage, like soda, as an indicator of your bottle carbonation; when it gets firm like a store-bought soda, you know your carbonation is done.

Brew tower.JPG Kegerator A.jpg Kegerator B.jpg

12. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Dumb question = How does that work out having the CO2 inside the cooler? Every bar with taps I ever worked in always had the CO2 bottle located in what seemed to be the hottest spot they could find, mostly where the heat came out of a big cooler. Kegs inside the coolers, CO2 out in the heat.

13. beerbelly

Granted, keeping the CO2 in a warmer environment maintains pressure longer, but I wanted a tidier look and didn't want to drill a hole in the side of my fridge. Besides, I'm not using CO2 at the rate a pub does; my tanks usually last for about 4 months, at $16 a fill- not bad.

14. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Looks like your Erector-Set Skills paid off..

TestDummy and handy_andy_cv64 like this.
  15. handy_andy_cv64

Dammit, I had an Erector Set, and I never could make something like that....

16. TestDummy

So, I bottled yesterday. Went very well. There was an inch of sludge on the bottom of the fermentation bucket, and the brew smelled awesome, albiet it's darker than I though. I actually drank a small glass of the flat brew. Tasty, and seems to be pretty potent. I used your dishwasher advice. Made cleanup easier. Also filled a couple of empty tonic bottles for carbonation check. Thanks again.

17. beerbelly

"There was an inch of sludge on the bottom of the fermentation bucket"
    That's called 'trub', and is completely normal; it's just the depleted yeast and hop debris. That's why I transfer my beer into a secondary fermenter, to have less of that ending up in the bottles. You will always have a dusting of depleted hops in the bottom of your bottles; it's just the nature of bottling home brew, unless you make a big investment in filtering equipment.

Best of luck for a tasty brew, and one that will start a new hobby for you. Also, you inspired me to brew a Hazy/Juicy/NEIPA IPA today, hopped with lots of Citra & Mosaic hops.

18. handy_andy_cv64

19. TestDummy

Northeast IPA?

20. beerbelly

Yep!