Lawman's Engine build

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by trikar, Oct 23, 2008.

1. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Ouch! ................Somehow I find it hard to believe that stock 40 year old design heads are better than the aluminum heads lawman bought! Especially since ford dropped them so quick!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2008
  2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

HA! You know you are wrong, rght? Common sense and reality have no place here, mister.

3. rancheromeister

rancheromeister In Overdrive

What is 'so quick'? You're thinking '70-'74, but Ford was making Clevelands in Australia into as least the '80s. The Clevelands were made as a RACE engine, and Ford put lots of them into pre-smog '70s vehicles. The 351ms and 400s were improved Cleveland designs, that didn't use the 4V heads. Ask Jack Roush what engine propelled most of his Pro Stockers-CLEVELANDS. Edelbrock got in on the 5.0 Mustang revolution in the '80s, making aluminum heads.They now make heads for many makes, and other hard-to-get applications, like FEs. The 4V Clevelands weren't dropped because they didn't work well, but because of smog controls,gas mileage, and Ford getting out of racing. The
    4V heads may flow better, but the Edelbrocks are lighter and new. Different strokes for different folks, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout Willis :DJD

4. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

Well, ya know Sean and Carl, this isn't the only forum I read, this one is the entertainment section of my surfing.
    Buy no means do I want to criticize anyone for their build, it's just that I am at the stage of looking for heads for the 400 I am building and since it pretty much has to be a 2V port size and after reviewing my build the stock 2V heads wouldn't work.
    I have been looking for almost a year now and Sean...:p if I don't get the cast Aussie heads it will be CHI or AFD

Check this link out
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/thread/1159400878/Trick+Flow+heads

or go to Ford muscle and do a search, pretty much a consensus any where you look...But for a daily driver, they work...

5. lawman

lawman In Third Gear

This is getting interesting. I'm sticking with 5.0 and Rancheromeister. Thanks for the posts.

6. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

And 'Sean',.....but who's counting?

7. *RD*

*RD* In Maximum Overdrive

Why does it seem as if the cleveland builds are the most controversial on here. It was the same when I was building up mine. Pretty much go with what you think is right, that is what I did on some of the things on my cleveland, and I am very happy with the way it came out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9VhudMh_bM
    Dave

8. lawman

lawman In Third Gear

And you too , Sean!

9. lawman

lawman In Third Gear

Absolutely. I thought about a bunch of routes I could have taken during the course of this project.
    If I wanted a track vehicle, I would have gone with another set up.
    If I were looking to make a huge amount of power, I could have stated I was going with a set of Dart heads,(among other things) but I'm sure if that were the case, someone would have stated "dart heads are trash, and you should have purchased a set of blah, blah, blah."
    Everyone has there own way of doing things, opinions, etc.
    The bottom line is I've decided to go with this set up, and I'm sure I'm going to be extremely happy with the end result.
    Other than that, I'm still enjoying the feedback. Keep 'em comin'!

10. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

:D >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

11. Torkair

Torkair In Maximum Overdrive

The edlebrock C heads are good heads, nothing wrong with them at all. My problem with them is that they hit their limit pretty quick compared to other cleveland heads of comparable cost that are currently on the market. If it makes you happy then who's to stop you.

Need more pics!

12. lawman

lawman In Third Gear

Engine update

Allright guys/gals. The motor is finished, and he will be installing the motor/transmission this weekend.
    I will not be in the shop during this memorable event because I have another important birthdate to attend to.
    My wife will be giving birth to our little girl on Fri. the 14th.
    I can't wait to hold her. She will be joining her older brothers, Antonio(4) and Nathan(2.)
    I took some furlough time, and will take a week to bond with our little princess, then it's back to work.
    I'll take more pics next weekend, and I'll ask Trikar to post 'em up for me.

13. trikar

trikar In Maximum Overdrive

Congratulations! I hope all goes well.:)

14. lawman

lawman In Third Gear

Thanks, man!

15. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

Congrats on the New Addition Lawman hope the new Bundle of Joy and Mamma are ok. The engine build is Peanuts compared to the new Baby. Good Luck :D PS let us know how the engine works out too. ;)

16. lawman

lawman In Third Gear

Thank you!

17. lawman

lawman In Third Gear

Allright guys/gals. I passed by the shop today, and we were about to install the engine, but the parts store sent the wrong motor mounts.
    The new ones should arrive tomorrow, and we'll try it again.
    I'll post some new pics A.S.A.P.

18. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

keep us posted!

19. trikar

20. trikar